Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: help to ID very very unusual Unknown coin  (Read 535 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
help to ID very very unusual Unknown coin
« on: November 12, 2013, 08:52:29 am »
hi All;
I need your help to ID very very unusual coin AE 15,5mm-12h-1g.On Obverse there is two faces in one,once you see the 1st face,just do small rotation of the coin and you can see the 2nd face both to right.First time in my life i see such coinage ???the reverse is as late Roman coinage.What is that coin???? :afro:
thanks in advance for any help
regards
Nassif

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: help to ID very very unusual coin
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:10:18 am »
I would think the coin was double-struck causing the fascinating effect we see.  Very interesting indeed!

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:25:16 am »
The coin looks very well struck and don't find traces of double struck,both heads are a little bit different one from other,both are very well sticked from back& neck.
*1st i would like to ID the coin
*2nd:why?what it could be?Real coinage issue?
Nassif

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:15:05 am »
You never cease to amaze me with your rare and interesting coins Nassif, was this another one of your finds from your recent trip ?

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:36:50 am »
Hi;
I am like a small cat looking everywhere,but believe or not such coins cost me a lot lot of money because i ask dealers to look for it among thousands of coins...,finally you need 3 things:
1-lot of time
2-lot of coins to be seen and checked one by one
3-MONEYYYYYYYYYYY
All the bests
Nassif

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: help to ID very very unusual Unknown coin
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 06:20:23 pm »
If you look at the reverse you can see there is clear evidence the coin is double struck.  It is done so perfectly that it is either a remarkable accident or some playful experimentation at the mint.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 08:02:59 pm »
The second face is upside down, right?

If the two faces are different as you think, it could be a case of two obv. dies being applied alternately and at rapid speed at the same rev. die set into the anvil, the overstrike occurring when a finished coin was not removed fast enough from the rev. die so was mistakenly impressed with the second obv. die too, in this case at a 180 degree angle from the first strike. That is a comparatively common phenomenon with the die positions reversed, namely two rev. dies applied alternately to the same obv. die set into the anvil, so the misstrikes have overstruck reverses rather than overstruck obverses.

If that's the correct explanation, then the coin shifted a little in the reverse die too between the two strikes, casing doublestriking on that side too.

Apparently a coin of Arcadius with rev. SALVS REI PVBLICAE, Victory advancing l. with trophy over shoulder and dragging captive? (Bruck, Kupferprägung, p. 61)
Curtis Clay

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 08:08:25 pm »
It reminds me of the obverse of this double struck Constantius II in my collection.

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 10:51:51 pm »
It reminds me of the obverse of this double struck Constantius II in my collection.

That double headed (janiform in fact?) head is quite remarkable.  I have a "unique" IROMANI IROMANI large follis of an emperor who actually looks a bit like Bane of the last Batman movie.  I really like these flip strikes, esp when they're 180 degrees since the results can often be quite unexpected!

What fun!
 ;D  

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 11:36:26 pm »
thanks all for your contributions
All the bests
Nassif

All coins are guaranteed for eternity