Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake Aurelius and fake Crispina--same artist?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline lavoie

• Legionary
Fake Aurelius and fake Crispina--same artist?
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:35:56 pm »
I purchased these two coins from the same coin shop one week apart.  I am concerned that they are not authentic because the patina looks the same on both coins, the color is almost identical, and they basically look and feel like the same coin only with different images. 

The Marcus Aurelius Consecratio is 30 grams, 30 mm.
The Crispina Concordia is 20 grams, 30mm.

Any thoughts?  Thanks for your help!

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Fake Aurelius and fake Crispina--same artist?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:49:11 pm »
From the photos, they look OK to me.
PeteB

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 09:51:28 pm »
Both have just been harshly cleaned at some point, probably with a brass brush.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:30:32 pm »
I am concerned that they are not authentic because the patina looks the same on both coins, the color is almost identical, and they basically look and feel like the same coin only with different images.

The patinas don't look remotely similar. I've seen enough bronze and orichalcum patinas to recognise 'similar', which usually means identical if the find circumstances are the same (or if modern). In this case they look quite unrelated, only their orichalcum metal provides some link. Orichalcum has a typical feel due to its softness relative to bronze, and that may be surprising you.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity