Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RFA: Identification of AtG Silver tetradrachm  (Read 502 times)

RMB

RFA: Identification of AtG Silver tetradrachm
« on: July 27, 2012, 11:04:07 pm »
27 JUL 12
Greetings Board of Experts:

About 20-years ago, I purchased a coin from an antiques dealer in NYC that was reported to be a silver tetradrachm.  I put the coin away in a box and never gave it a second thought till today when a friend of the family was showing me his Morgan Silver Dollar collection.  I dug the coin out and tried to find an exact copy on the Internet to see what the value might be.  Came up with nothing that matched 1:1.

This coin is slightly smaller than a US dime, is near pure silver (had it tested), and slightly concave.  The thickness of the coin is not uniform, but again, about the thickness of a dime.  I have no ability to weigh the coin as my kitchen scale will not reach those increments.

The coin has some odd markings - specifically, two feathers or leaves on the reverse.  I read that these could be "minting" marks - but again, I can't find anything that looks similar.

Looking forward to any assistance you can provide.  If a fake, I'm going to either melt down (so no one else is tricked) or put on my desk in plastic casket to remind me to remain within my limitations.  If legitimate - well, I'll just be amazed.

Thanks,
RMB

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
Re: RFA: Identification of AtG Silver tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 01:17:11 am »
Hello,
Welcome to Forvm Ancient Coins!

I believe this is authentic! And would be described as;

Macedonian Kingdom, Alexander III, The Great, 336 -323 B.C.

Silver drachm, Price 1753, Colophon mint, c. 323 - 319 B.C. (At the end of or just after his reign); obverse Herakles' head right, clad in Nemean lion scalp headdress tied at neck; reverse AΛEΞANΔPOY, Zeus enthroned left, eagle in right, corn-grain under throne, spearhead in right field.

"Price" is a reference book by Martin J. Price " The Coinage In The Name Of Alexander The Great and Phillip Arrhidaeus"

Colophon is a Greek mint city in asia minor, NW of Ephesus. One of the most productive drachm mints of Alexander coinage.

Being slightly smaller than a dime would make it a drachm. A tetradrachm (4 drachms) would be slightly larger than a quarter.

I welcome other opinions!

~Steve

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:34:59 am »
Please post better (bigger/clearer) photos of both sides and give size and weight.

Clear photos, size and weight are basic necessary information, I personally can't help you without this information.

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:59:53 am »
This coin is slightly smaller than a US dime, is near pure silver (had it tested), and slightly concave.  The thickness of the coin is not uniform, but again, about the thickness of a dime.  I have no ability to weigh the coin as my kitchen scale will not reach those increments.
Please post better (bigger/clearer) photos of both sides and give size and weight.

Clear photos, size and weight are basic necessary information, I personally can't help you without this information.

You can take it to a jeweler or coin dealer for accurate measurements.

It should weigh around 4 grams and be approx. 16 mm in diameter.

~Steve

RMB

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:01:00 am »
Rover / Steve:

Per your request, I'm trying to post some additional photos - but having trouble uploading to the board.  Seems that if I load a document (less than size maximum) and press send - I get an error message saying that my document took too long to upload.  When I try to repost (make it even smaller), I get a message that this note has alredy been posted.  When I try to modify the posting - it isn't there.  Sure it's all on my end...

Anyway, last try.  If this doesn't work - I still want everyone on the board to know that I really appreciate and value the time they have spent trying to help me out on this matter.  You coin folks are really a kind bunch.

The coin weighs 4 g and is between 16-17mm (best guess using my caliber and poor eyesight).

Thanks.

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:30:21 am »
I don't like it and I have moved it to Authentication, Fakes and Frauds board for further investigation.
The new photos are still not good enough for me to be entirely certain, but I lean towards modern.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity