Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rare Lifetime Caesar portrait!  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Rare Lifetime Caesar portrait!
« on: October 30, 2011, 05:37:10 pm »
It's been a while since I've purchased anything but after the drought I think this one is worthy.  Not a spectacular example, certainly not by Benito's standards and yet it is a good clear portrait of a bearded Mark Antony with Fortuna holding Victory reverse.  Struck for Antony by Vibius Varus in anticipation of the victory over Brutus and Cassius, Varus also struck the same type with Octavian.  A bearded Antony still in mourning over Caesar's death.

Some interesting comments by Sear indicate that the die-engraver was moved from the Capitoline mint into Antony's travelling mint based on stylistic similarities.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

Hard to photograph because of the uneven surfaces. Some encrustations remain.  Not sure if I want to try anything on this but any suggestions are welcome.

Let me know what you think.  Thanks!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Bearded Antony portrait added
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:00:19 pm »
I think it could be cleaned a bit further, but I would not suggest doing so. The surfaces would probably be really rough. Besides, no matter what Benito may find to show you that his coin is superior to yours, I for one think it is fine looking! Nice addition.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 11:17:20 pm »
Thanks Chris.  It really is better in hand.  Very tough to photograph.  Even with using photoshop this was the best I could do.  I may try it with a tripod and light box but that will be later.

Right now Antony is taking a bath in distilled water.  I do this with most my coins just as a precaution and also to see if anything will loosen up and flake off.  I don't want to try any kind of lemon juice.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:26:54 am »
A very respectable purchase after a long sabbatical.

Good luck with the distilled bath!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Antony: A man's man portrait added
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 05:40:40 pm »
Oh and the distilled water did remove some dirt but overall the coin still has encrustations.  I won't proceed any further with it.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Caesar Aeneas denarius added
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 11:00:21 pm »
I'm in the process of getting a very nice lifetime Julius Caesar portrait denarius, in the meantime I present a decent example of a Caesar/Aeneas denarius.  I've always wanted this type.  It will fill a hole until I have money to buy a better example so that may be a while  :).

It's still not here but it should arrive any day now:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-73434

All coins are guaranteed for eternity