Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pan / Satyr ?  (Read 323 times)

Offline Frank J

• Praetorian
Pan / Satyr ?
« on: April 30, 2011, 05:50:26 am »
Does anyone have any thoughts on this little chap ? Silver, weighs in at 1.06g, c9mm. Thin very flat flan. (The slightest tinge of yellow to the silver; but if electrum then very dilute !)

Obverse shows a small figure with goat's feet, hairy thighs and beard, seated on the ground, with legs crossed (I think), and apparently playing ball.  A bit off centre; anepigraphic.

Reverse is an incuse square with an uncertain shape / pair of shapes;l could be random, could be facing goats' / boars' heads.

Pretty and artistic little coin, but I can't find anything to match anywhere. The general feel  is similar to the little Kyzikos fractions; and Idyma was keen on Pan, but head only, as far as I can see. Suggestions welcome !

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Pan / Satyr ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 07:42:42 am »
Dear Frank and Board,

I could be wrong, but there are several Thraco-Macedonian diobols on CNG that resemble your coin.  Here are two:    

[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

The legs on most are off the flans, but the other essential details seem to match, including the pellet in the right field.  Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Frank J

• Praetorian
Re: Pan / Satyr ?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:08:44 am »
Hi Mark -

Many thanks for that. Never occurred to me that it might be a later/neater version of the 'Siris / Lete' satyrs, of which I have an example; but now you suggest it, I can see that it probably must be. In which case the 'ball' with which I thought the satyr was playing (!) would indeed match the 'pellet(s)' on the CNG coins. Possibly there is another off-flan behind my little chap.

Stylistically very different, (a much slimmer, neater version - and the goatish feet and thighs don't appear to be emphasized at all on the earlier ones) but the type certainly looks basically identical, and the weight comparable. The date of mine would I think have from the style to be considerably later - the CNG coins are dated 520-480. (I'm assuming mine is genuine, which I can't see any reason to doubt.)

Incidentally, I'd wondered whether my little satyr was leaning up against something (traces right at the edge of the flan) but if you're right, which I think you must be, that will be a bit of his tail, clearly visible in the second of the CNG links you kindly posted.

Many thanks indeed, Mark. Case closed, I think, unless anyone has any other suggestion ?

And I'd be grateful for a reference if anyone knows of a stylistically similar example; I'll get browsing through my refence books to see if I can find anything myself.

Best wishes -

Frank

All coins are guaranteed for eternity