Antiquities Discussion Forums > Other Metal Antiquities

Ancient cross ? Fake or authentic ?

(1/1)

Jon the Lecturer:
Hi,

When I was fourteen or around one of our family friends gave me this cross telling me he found in his field. It was a present so he was not telling me he found it in the fields in order to sell it. He was a Moslem and I am a Christian so he thought I should have it.

Well, somebody said it was 300 years old, somebody 900 and someone 50 years old. I assume it being 50 or something years old.

What do you think ? I'd appreciate any comments

Best regards,

Jon

Joe Sermarini:
50 is probably closest.

Lloyd Taylor:
I cannot put my finger on the exact reason, but to my eye the style of the cruciform Jesus looks distinctly modern to me.

On a separate topic  I ask whether as "A linguist who collects ancient coins.." you might be able to assist with deciphering Aramaic legends as detailed on the following thread:  Parthian and Other Eastern Coins > Interpretation of Aramaic Legends>  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=22245.0

Jon the Lecturer:
Hi,

I thought the crucifix to be modern too. So, now I can be sure that It is just a modern cross.

Aramaic is a language that I have almost no knowledge of. I could only recognize the cognates from Arabic. I am actually more like a modern linguist who studies subjects like how we get language. What actually happens in our brain when we know a language ? Social and cultural aspects of language. Conversation analysis and etc.

However, this does not mean that I will not try to help you on that topic. I found it very interesting actually. I would read the thread in my convenience and try to pose a humble opinion. I would try to use my linguist skills, I hope

best regards,

Jon

Lloyd Taylor:

--- Quote from: Jon the Lecturer on November 12, 2009, 01:19:16 pm ---......I found it very interesting actually. I would read the thread in my convenience and try to pose a humble opinion. I would try to use my linguist skills, I hope

--- End quote ---

Jon,

Thank you, any thoughts on the legend would be very much appreciated, even if it is only an opinion of whether I am possibly on the right or wrong track regarding the way four Aramaic symbols/letters might be deciphered.

--- Quote from: Jon the Lecturer on November 12, 2009, 01:19:16 pm ---I am actually more like a modern linguist who studies subjects like how we get language. What actually happens in our brain when we know a language ? Social and cultural aspects of language. Conversation analysis and etc.

--- End quote ---

That is a pretty amazing area of study, with I imagine a diverse body of opinion. It is difficult for me to even contemplate where one would start and how one confidently unravels cultural effects on our brain, from social effects, from that purely related to language. To my extremely inexpert mind it all appears to be  incomprehensibly interlinked; a challenging area of study indeed.

It would make for a very interesting thread.... just need to work in a few coin references to give it some relevancy to the discussion board! Then the fireworks would begin; as the English would say, just don't mention the French, then vice versa, and then on an on it would go forever, in a never ending series of post and counter-post! :) Probably best we don't go there!

Regards
Lloyd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version