Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Traité des Monnaies Grecques et Romaines  (Read 1815 times)

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
Traité des Monnaies Grecques et Romaines
« on: February 26, 2007, 10:07:50 pm »
The title, Traité des Monnaies Grecques et Romaines, what does it mean?  I tried translating it using a web tool that replaced "Traité" with "Treaty".  Perhaps 'Treatise"?

Google has scanned three volumes and I'm trying to make them into a web-site.  Unfortunately, the scan job was poor.  In the plate volume Google put the plates out-of-order (I fixed that) and also forgot to scan 37 of the 185 plates!

The Description Historique volume that I have is divided into three sections geographically but only covers electrum and early silver.  Google's scan is also missing pages and has out-of-order pages.  Instead of page numbers the original had column numbers which throws off a lot of Google's tools.

What is the approximate pronounciation of Dr. Babelon's name?  "Bab-Lawn"?

I've put up a rough beginning to a site on this topic at http://www.snible.org/coins/library/traite/traite.html but it isn't quite ready for public review....

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
Re: Traité des Monnaies Grecques et Romaines
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 07:22:48 am »
Yes, that is correct, treatise.  Sounds like a very valueable contribution.  Looking forward to seeing it.
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 05:05:57 pm »
Babelon is a great work, IMO (for what it's worth).  I never thought of saying 'Bab-Lawn'!  True, you don't want to say Bab-uh-lawn.  But above all, you don't want to pronounce the final n as in American 'lawn', and the o is not a, not even as in 'father'.  The middle e is VERY short and schwa-like. 
Traité as from TractatusPat L.

jarnait

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 03:02:21 am »
The middle e is VERY short and schwa-like. 
Pat L.

Schwa-like? What is that? :-)

I would pronounce Babelon like this:
Ba (from ba-ttle)
be (from bu-tter) or like the French "heu" and "eux" in "heureux", or "ém" - rather long "eu", not short.
lon (from lon-gitude)

Each surname has its own pronounciation by the people who have it, or even depending on the region it's from.
I personally - not knowning the usual pronounciation, just reading the name - would pronounce the "be" long, but it could also be short as Pat says. In that case you would even say "Bab'lon".

From what Pat says, I understand the French numismatists pronounce it the "short" way?

Regards!

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 08:08:22 am »
I attended a lecture by Dr. Michel Amandry last year at the ANS.  He referenced a great numismatist "Bab Lowe" several times.  When he mentioned the works of this great numismatist I realized he was talking about Ernest Babelon!  If I make a web page celebrating the Traité I don't want to leave readers with the wrong idea about pronunciation.

jarnait

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 08:38:19 am »
Bab'lon it is then!
I won't make a fool of myself when asking for his work - I'm suppose to know how to pronounce French, after all ;-)

Thanks!

kerux

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 08:51:10 am »
Great work, Ed.

Joe W.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity