Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Stobi Reverse  (Read 2085 times)

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
New Stobi Reverse
« on: February 22, 2006, 09:17:23 pm »
Unfortunately, this is from the photo-files, not my collection.  This reverse is not included in Josifovski, so in none of the major European collections.  It is a variation of the known reverses of Axios and Erigon, the river gods and their confluence at Stobi.  Normally, these are dipicted with Tyche holding a scepter and reed.   The description of this coin is:
MACEDON, Stobi. Caracalla. 198-217 AD. Æ 24mm (7.09 gm, 1h). Laureate head right / Statue of Poseidon(?) standing right on cippus, holding long sceptre, between reclining figures of Axius and Erigon Rivers; reeds beneath. Cf. Boric-Breskovic, Stobi, pl. V, 25.2 (Nike; same obverse die); AMNG III -; SNG Copenhagen -. VF.

I acknowledge that the picture does not give good resolution to "Poseidon" but I am skeptical of the attribution.  Poseidon is otherwise unknown from Stobi issues.  I believe that it would be much more parsimonius to attribute the central figure to Zeus.  Any insights from members?
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
Re: New Stobi Reverse
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 09:25:06 pm »
Here is the normal reverse with Tyche for comparison.  This specimen exhibits Geta on the obverse so an earlier issue.  Also a photo-file example, these coins are rare.

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 10:35:16 pm »
I claim no expertise in the area of Stobi, but I am an avid collector of Neptune/Poseidon coins.  This figure of Poseidon is "spot-on" in my opinion.  The right foot raised, probably on a globe, and holding a trident.  The coin isn't clear enough to be sure if a trident is depicted or not, but my guess is yes.

Since the coin's reverse is the two major river gods of the region together, it only makes sense that they would superimpose Poseidon above them, putting themselves below the major god.

FWIW, Poseidon may not be recorded as a coin type for Stobi, but he certainly is no stranger to other Macedonian regions.  I don't think the figure is Zeus, the posture doesn't look very Zeus-like.  Zeus is rarely shown standing left, but forward, facing left.  There are no other attributes to suggest Zeus either.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 08:25:35 am »
Tom, you raise a very good point regarding the figures leg and globe.  Too bad about the scepter or trident not being clear.  I was influenced by this reverse type showing Zeus standing.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 12:46:32 pm »
In the company of two streams and in that pose, I think it must be Poseidon / Neptune.  Pat L.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 02:30:06 pm »
The statue base makes me think this is a famous cult image from some temple in Stobi, without any connection to the river gods beyond the locality.
One would expect that same statue to be depicted on other coins of Stobi, but apparently this is not the case.  Hopefully Whitetd49 can confirm this from the Stobi monograph which I do not have.
A nude male god standing l. in a temple at Stobi, extending r. hand and with scepter in l., but not on a base and above all not placing r. foot on anything, RPC II pl. 14, 311.
Apart from Neptune, Mars can also place his r. foot on something, a helmet, cuirass etc., and probably a number of other deities too.  So I would hesitate to opt for Neptune, unless his scepter/spear could clearly be identified as a trident on another specimen!
Curtis Clay

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 02:51:48 pm »
One would expect that same statue to be depicted on other coins of Stobi, but apparently this is not the case.  Hopefully Whitetd49 can confirm this from the Stobi monograph which I do not have.

None such statue on any coin listed in Josifovski, unless I overlooked something.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 03:23:55 pm »
If memory serves, during the reigns of Trajan and Domitian, Stobi reverses exhibited tetrastyle temples with a central cult figure.  These are generally attributed to Zeus or Asklepios.  Neither show the figure placing a foot on an object.

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 04:48:14 pm »
Curious, here is yet another undescribed variant -
AE (7,26 g.), Vs.: A C M AVR ANTONINVS, gepanzerte Büste mit Lorbeerkranz r. Rs.: MVN STO, Nike mit Kranz und Palmzweig von links heranfliegend, zu ihren Füßen zwei einander gegenüber liegende Flußgötter mit Schilfzweigen. SNG Cop. - ; BMC - ; Mionnet - ; SNG Evelpidis - ; SNG Schweiz II - ; Hunter - .

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 11:38:08 pm »
from note on kerux's Gordian III of Deultum:
Of course, cities and sanctuaries had statues that weren't in temples, and when we get a Poliorketes (Lysippic) type of Poseidon, and the city does not use it in a temple or as a regular independent type, but shows it in a scene ("here's where our port is, see our statue of Poseidon/Neptune marking it just as at Ostia and Isthmia"), that's nothing to worry about.
The Poseidon on Whitetd's Stobi beauty is a civic statue.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity