Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: buckle and bronze bell  (Read 773 times)

Offline Vladimir B2

• Consul
buckle and bronze bell
« on: November 17, 2021, 10:22:11 am »
hello what period could these be medieval or newer thank you

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: buckle and bronze bell
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 06:47:59 pm »
I don't know what the iron item is. 

I believe that the buckle is medieval or later.  There were a few square or rectangular buckles in Roman times, but none exactly like this that I am aware of.

The bell could be Roman.  It matches Nowakowski type A, which is generally dated to the 2nd-3rd century AD.  The type was used throughout the Empire but also by the eastern Germanic and Dacian peoples.  It might also be a later item.  I don't know the medieval and modern bell forms so it might be later, but it certainly matches a Roman type.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Vladimir B2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 07:05:36 am »
thanks sir

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 04:25:21 pm »
Hi Shawn,

Please let me know the title, etc. for Nowakowski. I don't know, probably want to own it, and at the very least want to add it to NumisWiki.

Thanks,
Joe
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 05:39:20 pm »
Nowakowski, Wojciech. Metallglocken aus der römischen Kaiserzeit im europäischen Barbaricum, in Archaeologia Polonia XXVII. 1988.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity