Antiquities Discussion Forums > Other Metal Antiquities

Bronze Roman horse (Dragon?) handle - Looking for additional info

<< < (2/3) > >>

SC:
You might want to check out the world of re-enactor gear and replicas.  While there is some cheap crap out there there are also some very nice items made based on exact copies of originals.

I collect Roman belt parts and have been thinking of getting some reproductions to go along with my originals.

SC

Jj W:

--- Quote from: otlichnik on October 08, 2021, 05:59:22 pm ---You might want to check out the world of re-enactor gear and replicas.  While there is some cheap crap out there there are also some very nice items made based on exact copies of originals.

I collect Roman belt parts and have been thinking of getting some reproductions to go along with my originals.

SC

--- End quote ---

That's a good idea.  I'll take a look at that. 

I've seen several lots of belt buckles, etc go through auction.  If I bought those I guess you know what I'd do with them :D

Kamnaskires:

--- Quote from: Jj W on October 08, 2021, 05:45:39 pm ---For me when I see that sword restoration it's incredible...It's one thing to hear "the Bronze Age" and quite another to see a shiny bronze sword that was held in the hands of a warrior likely with other similar bronze items adorning him.

--- End quote ---

In this case: Early Iron Age, actually.  ;)

C. 1200 - 800 BC. In the 1960s the Early Iron Age in Iran – meaning the Iron Age up to the formation of the Achaemenid Empire – was divided by scholars (in the works of R. Dyson, T. Cuyler Young, and L. Vanden Berghe) into three distinct periods: Iron Age I (c. 1200 - 1000 BC); Iron Age II (c. 1000 – 800 BC); and Iron Age III (c. 800 – 550 BC, when Cyrus the Great founded the Achaemenid Empire). This type of dagger dates to Iron Age I and II.

Jj W:

--- Quote from: Robert L3 on October 08, 2021, 07:45:20 pm ---
--- Quote from: Jj W on October 08, 2021, 05:45:39 pm ---For me when I see that sword restoration it's incredible...It's one thing to hear "the Bronze Age" and quite another to see a shiny bronze sword that was held in the hands of a warrior likely with other similar bronze items adorning him.

--- End quote ---

In this case: Early Iron Age, actually.  ;)

C. 1200 - 800 BC. In the 1960s the Early Iron Age in Iran – meaning the Iron Age up to the formation of the Achaemenid Empire – was divided by scholars (in the works of R. Dyson, T. Cuyler Young, and L. Vanden Berghe) into three distinct periods: Iron Age I (c. 1200 - 1000 BC); Iron Age II (c. 1000 – 800 BC); and Iron Age III (c. 800 – 550 BC, when Cyrus the Great founded the Achaemenid Empire). This type of dagger dates to Iron Age I and II.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for the distinction!  Incredible to imagine in any case.

Do you have any opinion on this horse handle? 

v-drome:
Hippocamp

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version