Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lockett collection - 2 volumes pdfs  (Read 1259 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Lockett collection - 2 volumes pdfs
« on: June 09, 2021, 10:04:06 am »
I was just browsing through a list of old Glendining auction catalogs on archive org and came across two auction catalogs of the Lockett collection, which may be of interest. (archive.org has a couple of other volumes - old English coins etc.) as well):

Catalogue of Part II of the celebrated collection of coins, formed by the late Richard Cyril Lockett, Esq. : Greek, Part I : Spain, Gaul, Italy, Sicily, and Siculo-Punic issues:
https://archive.org/download/catalogueofparti00glen/catalogueofparti00glen.pdf
(10.2 Mb)

Catalogue of Part VI of the celebrated collection of coins, formed by the late Richard Cyril Lockett, Esq. : Greek, Part II : Black Sea District, Thrace, Macedon, Thessaly, Illyricum, Epirus, Corcyra, Acarnania, and Aetolia ...
https://archive.org/download/catalogueofpartv00glen_0/catalogueofpartv00glen_0.pdf
(6.6 Mb)

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
Re: Lockett collection - 2 volumes pdfs
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 11:47:48 am »
With most Internet Archive digital publications, there is a number of options available for a given item. The easiest to access for use is the PDF, but if you have the software to process the SINGLE PAGE PROCESSED file, you can end up with a PDF that is of considerably higher resolution. Below is the URL for the Lockett Greek Part 1 webpage at Internet Archive. Moving your mouse over the PDF file will show that it is 10mb and moving your mouse over the SINGLE PAGE PROCESSED file shows that this is 50mb. I use a program called Scansoft to build the SINGLE PAGE PROCESSED single pages into a PDF that I can use. I don't know what the Scansoft software costs, as I've had mine for 20 years now. There might be something better available these days. You will also see a SINGLE PAGE ORIGINAL on this Internet Archive webpage, but I have found that though this is an even bigger file, it does not translate into an improved resolution over the SINGLE PAGE PROCESSED file. If you work with this you will see what I mean.

https://archive.org/details/catalogueofparti00glen

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 08:46:27 am »
Thank you Helvetica! There seems to be quite a few new uploads of Glendining sales, I enjoy going through them in the forlorn hope that I’ll find a lost provenance for one of my coins.

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 11:33:52 pm »
Lockett Greek Part III
https://archive.org/details/catalogueofparti00glen_2

Thanks to both of you. This is a case of one thing leading to another. There is a treasure trove of pre-1960 Glendining catalogs that have been uploaded to the Internet Archive site. Hopefully the 1960 and later Glendining catalogs will come eventually.

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline Perikles

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 08:03:02 am »
Thank you all of you!

Perikles
Ἐξ ἀνάγκης ἡ τοῦ νομίσματος ἐπορίσθη χρῆσις...,ὃ τῶν χρησίμων αὐτὸ ὂν εἶχε τὴν χρείαν εὐμεταχείριστον πρὸς τὸ ζῆν.
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

Offline Kevin D

• Consul

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 07:39:58 am »
This discussion is helpful in locating Glendining sales catalogs for the Cyril Lockett collection (not to be confused with the eponymous SNG Great Britain, volume III).

If locating an attribution is what you're after, I suggest checking out rNumis (kudos to Steve Moulding) for both his longstanding online collection of sales catalogs -including lots of Glendinings- and his recent provenance database of some of those same catalogs.  It is a work in progress, and currently includes Greek coinage of Italy and Sicily.  I have found two of my ancients in his provenance database (oh, the joy!).

Offline Steve Moulding

• Consul
    • Auction & Provenance Databases
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2022, 10:46:19 am »
Thanks Chris! I've added the 4 links to the Lockett Greek sales to NumisWiki here:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Lockett

Since this thread started, almost all Glendining sales have been added to archive.org and are freely available - an amazing effort by NNP (Eric P. Newman Numismatic Education Society) and the American Numismatic Society. You can easily search for them at archive. Folks who like downloading auction catalogs will love it. I also show Glendining sales and links at rnumis here https://www.rnumis.com/house_auctions.php?house=GLEN

Thanks also for the kind words! rnumis made Featured Site of the Week at coinbooks.org last week - that was nice! I'll update my other thread at some point soon on what's new.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Moulding
New York

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 04:28:40 pm »
Some of the Glendining Lockett sales catalogs also give the SNG Lockett coin numbers. This is under the column 'Syll. No.'

The Glendining sales were not an exact match of the SNG (not all the coins appear in both places).

Offline Steve Moulding

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 04:45:23 pm »
That's right, Kevin. Also, it seems the first Lockett Greek (the one I'm most interested in) didn't record coin weights. I wonder if they just expected you to refer to SNG for those. As I don't have that SNG, I'll need to find it at some point.

Cheers,

Steve

edit: Yes...just checked...they do say that in the Introduction to Greek I...basically 'if you want weights, go the the Sylloge'. For Greek II - IV the weights and Sylloge number are both given.
Steve Moulding
New York

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 04:06:52 pm »
Steve,

I just tried to send something to you regarding these coin weights, via the email address found at the bottom of your RNUMIS website. I no longer have internet access at home and everything is a struggle for me on public computers. Hopefully it worked.

Offline Steve Moulding

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 04:11:06 pm »
Hi Kevin. I just saw an email come in now. Will check and reply directly.
Thank you!

Best regards,

Steve
Steve Moulding
New York

All coins are guaranteed for eternity