Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman unknown emperor  (Read 723 times)

Offline Igor S2

• Praetorian
Roman unknown emperor
« on: June 08, 2021, 03:40:34 am »
Who is emperor?

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
Re: Roman unknown emperor
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 04:42:43 am »
As a guess it could be Valentinianus II (continuous obverse legend and style).

Offline Igor S2

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 12:09:45 pm »
Bingo! I said the same, among 4 similar emperors i got. I chose this becoz face looks similar.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 05:49:49 pm »
These SALVS REIPVBLICE coins can't be identified on the basis of the busts.  The busts were effectively identical for each emperor - variation was by mint or engraver.  The only real clue is the obverse lettering - even if the actual letters can't be made out sometimes the number of letters or whether the legend is broken or unbroken can help.

Otherwise it could be Theodosius I, Valentinian II, Arcadius or Honorius.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity