Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: antoninus pius contorniate  (Read 689 times)

Offline Mario D

• Praetorian
antoninus pius contorniate
« on: June 01, 2021, 08:55:39 am »
I had originally identified this as a Sestertius but now I am not so sure. I have not found a reference for this so far and would like a little help. The coin is 38mm and 27.3gm. The edge appears to have been hammered. The obverse left facing bust is unusual and the inscription is IMP.CAES.T.AEL.HADR.ANTONINUS.AUG.PIUS. It appears to be missing the PP at the end. The reverse is PONT.MAX but no SC. I have attached two scans. Any ideas?

Offline dwarf

• Consul
Re: antoninus pius contorniate
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 09:21:51 am »
Unfortunately you will find a reference only when looking for a similar fake.
This is a rather bad copy, cast and not struck as a Roman bronze should be.
These "tourist fakes" usually come from North Africa or Turkey

Have a look here
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pid=2884
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pid=11255

Regards
Klaus

Offline Mario D

• Praetorian
Re: antoninus pius contorniate
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 09:21:33 am »
Thanks for the info. I thought it might be a fake. Got this as part of a lot from a [REMOVED BY ADMIN] auction over 50 years ago.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity