Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Are these weghts?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
Are these weghts?
« on: May 25, 2021, 04:37:08 am »
Weights or some belt clothes stuff?Dont have scale sensitive enough to give corect weight but the should around  1 gram each ...may be

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Are these weghts?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 05:28:08 am »
Hi,

No, they are brooches. There should be a bobble terminal opposite to the one that remains on them. They are called equal ended plate brooches from C. 2nd century AD.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 06:22:00 am »
Aaaa I see now where they have been broken.Thanks for the comment +++

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 08:43:33 am »
Close.  They are actually Celtic late La Tene (LT III or LT D) period brooches.  They originate in the eastern Alps region - E Austria, W Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia

They were attached to a very thin, long looped pin part that actually looks a lot like a modern safety pin.  The pin rarely survives today.

See images of some of mine.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 10:56:33 am »
Very nice brooches ,shame mine came out broken,as usual the most interesting items always coming damaged >:(Thanks for the information

All coins are guaranteed for eternity