Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Iron belt fitting and belt plate?  (Read 692 times)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
Iron belt fitting and belt plate?
« on: May 24, 2021, 01:30:18 am »
Belt plate and fitting made from iron.Are this roman or medieval?I thought belt fittings are all of copper ,bronze etc.Iron would be very dificult to maintain :o.The right one Bishop is giving like fitting from IV - V century AD ,but site where was found suggest  medieval date.Any opinion would be welcome

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Iron belt fitting and belt plate?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 10:24:01 am »
The style of the right hand object - round hanger on circular plate - suggests late 4th century onwards. 

They may be post-Roman Germanic as similar iron stuff was common among Gothic peoples.  But they might be later medieval too.

Where were they found?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 04:18:55 am »
Close to Nikopolis ad istrum,Jordanes is mentioning gothic settlers in the area,but the site where they  were found is yelding only medieval coins and items X-XIII century.Should be medieval but when I saw Bishop describing this hanger like roman 4-5 century I was .....aaa what is going on here :o.What makes you thing they might be  late medieval,the style or you have some books ,reference?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 08:32:05 am »
It is such a simple design really it could be anytime. 

I'd say it fits with your coins.

The only medieval references I have are for stuff from the Museum of London, local British manufacture so no help in Bulgaria.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 11:07:51 am »
Ok obviously medieval stuff,thanks for the help

All coins are guaranteed for eternity