Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Basiliscus and Marcus - A Serbian Fake?  (Read 744 times)

Offline John O3

• Praetorian
Basiliscus and Marcus - A Serbian Fake?
« on: May 19, 2021, 12:31:39 am »
Hi All

I purchased this coin at the beginning of 2019 [REMOVED BY ADMIN]. Recently I had cause to have it checked and have been advised that the patina is fake and most likely the work of a Serbian master faker. I believe I am covered for the money I spent but could someone more knowledgeable than I venture an opinion before it's added to the database? I would hate to accuse someone wrongly, but also I am alarmed that a fake might have entered the system via a reputable dealer. I have spent a significant amount of money purchasing some of the rarer late Roman coins from such dealers because of the concern surrounding fakes, does it place a question mark over a segment of my collection? It's 10mm and 1.02g

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Basiliscus and Marcus - A Serbian Fake?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 08:07:36 am »
I can't really tell anything from the photos. The image is too small.
  Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 10:02:48 am »
If you click on the photo twice, it gets quite large.

The patina is strange. I see some reason to doubt it, but I cannot condemn it without seeing it in hand.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 12:40:13 pm »
Even a fake patina does not mean a fake coin.  FWIW, I can't tell if the patina is fake from your photos.  Often, real coins get cleaned harshly and are then repatinated.  That doesn't make them fakes.  I can;t say I see anything that makes me personally suspicious, but I don't know that coin type, nor your dealer.

If you are worried about it, why not have it expertly examined by any number of the authentication services out there?
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 03:34:50 pm »
Yes, to address those concerns you'd want to have it hand, along with microscope.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline John O3

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 01:22:21 am »
Even a fake patina does not mean a fake coin.  FWIW, I can't tell if the patina is fake from your photos.  Often, real coins get cleaned harshly and are then repatinated.  That doesn't make them fakes.  I can;t say I see anything that makes me personally suspicious, but I don't know that coin type, nor your dealer.

If you are worried about it, why not have it expertly examined by any number of the authentication services out there?

I live in a small country town about 150 km north of Adelaide in South Australia so my access to resources is extremely limited hence I'm heavily dependent upon the bona fides of overseas dealers and access to expertise on sites such as these.

Can anyone suggest such a service in Oz?

I do have access to one good dealer in Adelaide I trust but I'm not sure how far their expertise extends if we are talking about microscopes and the like.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity