Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

How do you store, display and attribute your ancient coins?  Multiple answers OK.

2x2s or Flips
16 (15.1%)
Capsules
2 (1.9%)
Coin Trays Fitted into a Coin Box
13 (12.3%)
Coin Storage Boxes
8 (7.5%)
Display or Presentation Cases
2 (1.9%)
Pages in Albums
10 (9.4%)
Use Vendor Attribution
6 (5.7%)
Use My Own Attribution
20 (18.9%)
My Own Custom Attribution Cards that Accompany the Coin
11 (10.4%)
A Number Accompanying the Coin Referenced to a Spreadsheet, Word Doc or Index Card
13 (12.3%)
Other
5 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: What Are Your Coin Storage Methods?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
What Are Your Coin Storage Methods?
« on: May 13, 2021, 03:47:20 pm »
Coin storage, display, and attribution are not easy.  Tell us, how do you handle it?

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
Re: What Are Your Coin Storage Methods?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 04:07:28 pm »
I use the 2x2 Saflip, made by E&T Kointainer, and then put these in the hard plastic boxes like those made by Whitman. The flips have some striations in the material, but they contain no softeners or other harmful chemicals. These are good for long-term storage.

I store the paper tickets separately, so there is no danger from them 'gassing off' during long term storage. To write on the flips, I use the type of pen for marking film negatives.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 09:59:49 pm »

I too use 2x2 Saflips by Kointainer, but I do include a card stock attribution card. Example photo below. I then store the flipped coins in Intercept Shield boxes.

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 11:10:26 pm »
2x2 flips in albums.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 08:41:05 pm »
I use 2x2 coin holders with short info and a number on them using the initial of the emperor or obverse person and the number (Fel Temps are currently at no FT1275). The coin holders then go into albums depending on the initial letter, in numerical order in clear slide-holder sheets.
The coins are then listed with full details including where I got the coin from, and the condition of the coin using my own special system (i.e. in stages from "grotty" to "lovely") on separate pages in an xls file.

Offline Victor N

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 04:41:08 am »
I have a traditional cabinet with 100 trays originating from when I first started collecting in the 1960's, I also have a stack of Lindner trays for the more recent overflow!

Offline William S7

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 12:48:00 pm »
Wow! Congratulations on what looks like an amazing collection assembled over a life time! :)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 09:12:35 am »
Wow! Fantastic cabinet.  Where did you get it?  Was it old even then or did you have it made?

I have several wooden cabinets, three my father made me (under the painting) and one I found in a small coin shop in Rome, and I also have  over 75 Lindner and other trays scattered around the office shelves. 

I probably have the same tray storage capacity as you do but yours is 100x better in that single awesome cabinet!

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Victor N

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 10:37:52 am »
Wow! Fantastic cabinet.  Where did you get it?  Was it old even then or did you have it made?

I have several wooden cabinets, three my father made me (under the painting) and one I found in a small coin shop in Rome, and I also have  over 75 Lindner and other trays scattered around the office shelves. 

I probably have the same tray storage capacity as you do but yours is 100x better in that single awesome cabinet!

SC

The cabinet was home made in the early 1960's, or rather the trays were, the cabinet originally housed a top of the range early 1950's Baird TV, a huge floor standing cabinet with double doors for a tiny 9" screen  :laugh: and speaker was below. Some of the trays have 32 spaces and some 50 spaces, all with a finger hole underneath the felt to push up large coins, probably around 4000 coin capacity

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 12:41:36 pm »
Nice.  Though I bet that 9" TV would be worth a fortune now in good condition.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 01:34:01 pm »
Hi,

Over Christmas 2020 I brought the collection from storage and photographed all the cabinets and trays together.

Starting top left:
8 tray cabinet - Greek silver fractions
7 red velvet trays - Byzantine weights, 4th and 5th century Roman and a tray of 17th century countermarked Spanish
7 Lidner trays - 2 hold LRBC I collection, 5 hold London mint
3 wooden trays - 3rd century radiate imitations
6 Nichols cabinets - Roman terminating with the follis reform, c.296
The cabinet on top of the two right hand Nichols cabinets is a tatty 19th century cabinet from the London dealer Lincoln. Holds Byzantine, mediaeval, Greek bronze, Indian and Islamic.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Victor N

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 03:28:17 pm »
A good selection of cabinets there otlichnik and mauseus,

it's down to personal taste but I like to be able to easily view and handle my coins and a cabinet is excellent for this.
 I suppose the downside is that being exposed to the atmosphere the coins are more likely to tarnish. Some of my 19th century machine struck silver coins have taken on a lovely golden rainbow colour after 50+ years in the cabinet.
 My cabinet is very heavy indeed, it still has it's original wheels from when it was a TV so I can just about move it should the need arise.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 04:48:55 pm »
Nice stuff Mauseus!

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 08:04:10 pm »
There's a thread here https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=15996.0with a broad range of storage methods!

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 09:40:30 pm »
I use Abafil cases and trays. I have found them convenient and of very high quality.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2021, 11:21:38 pm »
Oh my, that case has me drooling. I love it. I would love to have something like that, although smaller. I may have to think about building something like this that could use my existing trays.

To answer the question, I use archival 2 x 2 flips I buy from Joe. The ones I get with some coin purchases I usually throw away as they are not as good a quality. If I get them from Forum, I will use the flip that came with the coin. I keep them in trays in presentation boxes with 4 trays each. I would rather have that pull out style as when I add a coin or want to look at a coin I have to take out the trays. I keep tags from purchases, but often make my own double sided tags that I put into one side of the flip. One side has coin info and the back has some historical information. The coin goes in the flip side on top.

Virgil

Quote from: Victor N on May 21, 2021, 04:41:08 am
I have a traditional cabinet with 100 trays originating from when I first started collecting in the 1960's, I also have a stack of Lindner trays for the more recent overflow!

Offline Leon S

• Praetorian
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 12:12:29 am »
Hello.
I would like to share my method of keeping and displaying the coins. I used album style. Binder with plastic sheets BCW 2x2 and interleaving plastic pages for notes (I use Showgard supersafe philatelic pages) and archival 2 x 2 flips. Coins are placed in archival flips and then I insert the flip with coin into BCW 2x2 plastic sheet  pocket with the  open side to the side.
Since the most of actual coins are relatively small I made a magnified pictures of them for better display. The information about the coins is printed and placed in the right pocket.
Hope you'll like my style.
Leon

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 12:29:18 am »
Leon,
That is the nicest album setup I have seen and I love the amount of information you can display. One question, can you see both sides of the actual coin without flipping the page? I would imagine you probably can since you are using flips. My problem with albums has always been having to turn the page and then trying to find the coin on the other side. But it looks like you have solved that problem. I may have to reconsider my approach because with my method, I can only include a limited amount of information. This looks great, thanks for sharing.

Virgil

Hello.
I would like to share my method of keeping and displaying the coins. I used album style. Binder with plastic sheets BCW 2x2 and interleaving plastic pages for notes (I use Showgard supersafe philatelic pages) and archival 2 x 2 flips. Coins are placed in archival flips and then I insert the flip with coin into BCW 2x2 plastic sheet  pocket with the  open side to the side.
Since the most of actual coins are relatively small I made a magnified pictures of them for better display. The information about the coins is printed and placed in the right pocket.
Leon

Offline Perikles

• Consul
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2021, 08:25:00 am »
Hello.
Leon

Very nice!

Perikles
Ἐξ ἀνάγκης ἡ τοῦ νομίσματος ἐπορίσθη χρῆσις...,ὃ τῶν χρησίμων αὐτὸ ὂν εἶχε τὴν χρείαν εὐμεταχείριστον πρὸς τὸ ζῆν.
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 08:34:08 pm »
I want my collection where I can enjoy it and easily handle the coins, and I like to have them available to show them casually to my visitors without dragging out shelves or binders. The case is mahogany, and I added a bank of lights from Home Depot. I used to have a velvet surface, but even ambient vibrations used to move the coins around a bit. I tested wood with a grain running the length of the rows of coins, and that fixed the problem. I've been using the display case for about 30 years, and I can discern no interaction between the wood and the metal. The coins in the top row, by the way, are in this gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5012. The next seven rows are primarily in this gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1107. I'm slowly adding more, such as this one: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5080. The collection is catalogued in an Excel spreadsheet with all pertinent data and the image name. Cheers!

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2021, 07:43:46 am »
Very nice!

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline sand

• Praetorian
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 11:21:24 pm »
"Other". Abafil coin trays, placed inside Abafil coin cases Diplomat 2 and Diplomat 7.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity