Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another newbie!  (Read 719 times)

Offline CoinMinion

• Legionary
Another newbie!
« on: April 22, 2021, 04:52:21 pm »
Hello, all!  I stumbled across your site when my curiousity got the better of me.  I was digging through some old junk drawer stuff during a move recently and found a few crusty, uncleared coins I’d acquired fifteen or more years ago from some antiques person somewhere.  They’re pretty gnarly and tiny, (though one has some heft to it and has an exposed bronze/brass it on the edge). Knowing nothing other than soaking in olive oil, light brushing and not much else, they’ve been sitting patiently all this time to be rediscovered.

I got them because I love the thought of being able to bring a 1700+ year-old coin back to life, and fully expected these to be my learning curve of cleaning.  I’m certainly not expecting to strike the motherlode.  I really want an enjoyable hobby of history, mythology and discovery.  I’ve recently returned to metal detecting as well, turning up some totally price-less (as in not worth the price  ;D ) objects, that were, nonetheless, a blast to research and date.

I’ve been perusing the forums on basic cleaning —and NOT cleaning— suggestions, and look forward to squealing when I find more than a slug!

Dee

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
Re: Another newbie!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 06:05:29 pm »
Welcome to Forum! I think you'll find that you're not the only one to re-discover your coins in the past year!

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 08:24:31 pm »
Welcome!  If you post some pics you’ll get more detailed advice on your particular coins.  I don’t know of anyone who uses olive oil—-usually just distilled water.

I think you need a few posts before you can post pics (3 maybe?).

I need to get back out with my detector.  My best find is an 1817 cent.  I’d like to start hunting for arrowheads as well. I’m jealous of our European friends!

Offline CoinMinion

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 08:53:00 pm »

I need to get back out with my detector.  My best find is an 1817 cent.  I’d like to start hunting for arrowheads as well. I’m jealous of our European friends!

I’d love to do some hunting in Europe!  Coin-wise, the best I’ve done so far is an 1860’s cash coin found in Southern California, a silver quarter and a ton of half-eaten zinc pennies.  But the hunting is still fun!

Dee

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 09:22:12 pm »
Just an advice: don't come back to FORVM, run for your life or...you will become addicted, you'll even dream about ancient coins et won't be able to stop coming back here and learn new things about collecting and numismatic. But if you really wanna stay, welcome in the sect.
DT

All coins are guaranteed for eternity