Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A cracked silver Richard I denier  (Read 508 times)

Offline Jack M

• Auxiliary
A cracked silver Richard I denier
« on: April 09, 2021, 08:36:23 pm »
Hi, first time posting on a forum about ancient coins, because up until a few days ago I had no need to.
Essentially I was given a medieval antique coming for my birthday the other week, I was very happy with it and saw nothing wrong. A couple ofhttp:// days afterwards however with closer inspection I noticed a sizeable crack running throughout the coin! It seems to run from the edge a few mm in then snakes around the coin for a further few mm. Obviously, as this is a birthday present I don't know much about the price, whether it was bought on the cheap or anything like that, I do know it was purchased from eBay however. But there was nothing about a crack mentioned in the info section.
Basically, what I'm asking is, should I be annoyed about this and looking for a refund or replacement? Or when it comes to medieval/ancient coins is it just like that sometimes?

Many thanks in advance
J

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
Re: A cracked silver Richard I denier
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 09:59:31 pm »
Since it is a gift, I would say nothing because it probably would make the giver of the gift feel bad.

I agree, such a crack should have been mentioned in the description. And who knows if a refund is even possible. Make this a learning experience: buy only from reputable dealers who stand behind what they sell.

Medieval coins are very thin, and sometimes there are cracks running around the center circle. A dealer once told me that he always holds such coins up to a light to see if he can see through them.  I guess such coins are collectible, but at reduced prices, of course.

Offline Jack M

• Auxiliary
Re: A cracked silver Richard I denier
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 02:40:39 pm »
Cheers for replying mate,

Yeah, I agree. I'll keep this one quiet, as it was a nice and thoughtful gift from my dad of all people, wouldn't want to upset him.
And yes, definitely a learning experience, seeing as I think this is something I might get into (collecting ancient and medieval coins) I'll be far more cautious about buying online.
I'll just take this one on the chin, and to be honest, the more I've thought about it, the more it's grown on me. It's nice and clear, and as long as it's not going to break on me, what's a crack anyway (in this circumstance anyway, I don't plan on making a habit of buying cracked coins haha).

Thanks again for the response fella!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity