Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: trajan denarius, genuine? under weight, from ukraine  (Read 692 times)

Offline iameatingjam

• Praetorian
trajan denarius, genuine? under weight, from ukraine
« on: March 20, 2021, 05:20:49 am »
this was the first coin I ever ordered, before I learned not to buy from random dealers on ebay and this such. It was such low value I haven't really bothered until now but I really don't want fakes in my collection, so here goes.

It is a bit lighter than some of my other denarii, at 2.5g. typical diameter around 18mm. the edge is quite thin, and I dont see any cracks which is unusual in my collection anyway. I know I shouldn't have but I did scrape just the tiniest bit of an edge, and it does appear to be solid silver.

I looked up the seller on google and he looks to be a 'treasure hunter' some of his photos look kind of staged to me but admittedly I don't know what this kind of thing normally looks like. I assumed there would be more caked on dirt than what I see. I'll attach a couple photos from his facebook. He's from ukraine. Suspicious, I know. I definitely wouldn't buy from him knowing what I know now.

If somebody a bit more experienced could give their best guess on whether or not this coin is genuine, that would be great!

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: trajan denarius, genuine? under weight, from ukraine
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 08:02:51 am »
It looks authentic to me--wear may account for low weight.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 02:30:01 pm »
IMHO, authentic, albeit very work.  Maybe aF to F.  While not definitive in authenticating coins, coins of this grade aren't faked as often unless they are of rare issues where a well worn example is worth the trouble to fake and would be worth more than scrap silver.

I don't see any casting evidence, and It does not looks like a modern strike.  The patina might not be completely authentic though, if it was recently dug that way, I'd not expect to see patina worn off the high points.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline iameatingjam

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 03:57:41 pm »
IMHO, authentic, albeit very work.  Maybe aF to F.  While not definitive in authenticating coins, coins of this grade aren't faked as often unless they are of rare issues where a well worn example is worth the trouble to fake and would be worth more than scrap silver.

I don't see any casting evidence, and It does not looks like a modern strike.  The patina might not be completely authentic though, if it was recently dug that way, I'd not expect to see patina worn off the high points.

Thank you! This is kind of what I was thinking but its good to hear it from someone else.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity