Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Uncommon obverse on Geta Amasia coin  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Uncommon obverse on Geta Amasia coin
« on: March 15, 2021, 06:31:22 am »
Hi,

lately I received a beautiful Geta coin from Amasia/Pontos.

33 mm, 18.11 grm., 6h

Obv.: Bare, draped and cuirassed bust of Geta in circle of pearls right, legend within second circle of pearls: [...]EPTIMI GE[...]C KEC [...]

Rv.: Athena with shield in her right and spear in her left standing r., legend: [...] C MHT NE PR PON, in field: ET CH, thus indication it has been minted in 205/6 AD.

The reverse is different from RG 70, and the only similar obverse I have found is from a 2020 auction: https://www.biddr.com/auctions/numismatiknaumann/browse?a=1195&l=1266366 (hope this link is ok under the policies).

Now, I do not have Dalaison, but if someone does, I would of course be interested if the coin (or at least the obverse die) is listed.

I find this representation of Geta very special and quite beautiful - I would also be interested in why this uncommon double pearl border was chosen.

Any input is highly appreciated, as always.

Thank you and all the best.

Thilo

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Re: Uncommon obverse on Geta Amasia coin
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 10:57:44 am »
Well, so, sometimes you have to help yourself. I was lucky enough to pick up a cheap copy of Dalaison from an antiquarian.

And my coins is not recorded, there, either. However, the obverse die is, Dalaisons's obverse type D 143, and the reverse die is as well, Dalaison's R 177. The latter was recorded only for Septimius Severus, yet.

The obverse legend is  PO CEPTIMI GETAS, and, at ex.: KECARA (retrograde), Dalaison describes the bust as: "Buste drapé et cuirassé à dr. Ètoile marquant la séparation entre la fin et le début de la légende. Légende inscrite entre deux couronnne de grènetis." Bust draped and cuirassed to the right. Star marking the separation between the end and the beginning of the legend. Legend inscribed between two crowns of beads.

So far it seems the obverse was only known for one of the typical pyre reverse dies (however, a die that is not otherwise recorded for Geta, only for Septimius Severus).

The reverse die of my coin is as mentioned recorded only for Septimius Severus, as well. And - it is recorded only for one piece in Berlin, at all, since it differs clearly from the other Athena reverses in which Athena has the shield in her right instead of her left.

So, that's all I found out. And I am quite happy .  :)

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
    • Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 01:39:01 pm »
I'm so glad you like the coin! It was part of my "CITIES" collection of Provincials, Part I of which was included in a Numismatik Naumann auction recently. I found it in a fleamarket more than twenty years ago. Identifying it was easy, but - was it genuine? An eminent numismatist (whose blushes I will spare) said no, it was a modern fantasy coin, so for years I left in on a tray of fakes and dubious coins until with the help of the RPC team I could confirm that it was the real thing, and a coin of great charm too.
I'm happy that it's found a good home!
Francis

Offline Thilo

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 04:18:17 am »
Dear Britannicus,

thank you for your kind words - I indeed do count myself happy to be the "keeper" of the coin for some (hopefully long) time. I attached another picture for showing maybe a bit more of its beauty. It has this special look reminding me in some ways of Renaissance-style medallions (as does especially the letter M in SEPTIMI, btw.).

I think the Cyzicenan Claudius I was able to acquire in the same auction also came from your collection (which must have been wonderful!). Now the coin met another of the Cyzicus Claudius II. provincial series (https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=93805.msg581627#msg581627) .

Thank you and best regards - and all the best to you.

Thilo

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 12:42:48 pm »
Yes, the Claudius II Cyzicus coin was also from my collection. I was a tiny bit disappointed that it didn't fetch a higher price, given its extreme rarity, the large diameter, and how interesting the reverse type is!
By the way, there is a coin of Pius with this reverse on permanent display in the Bode Museum in Berlin, and also in the interactive catalogue of the Berlin Münzkabinett.

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 12:45:43 pm »
P.S. That's a fine photo! It really is a most charming coin, I was always fond of it, and I was most happy when I could finally move it from the "DOUBTFUL" tray to "MYSIA", where it rightfully belonged.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 06:00:14 pm »
I bet this is quite something in hand!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity