Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pupienus variant  (Read 541 times)

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
Pupienus variant
« on: March 02, 2021, 07:03:44 am »
Hello,

This coin is referenced in Wildwinds: https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/pupienus/RIC_0014var.jpg variant with SC at exergue.

Source: [REMOVED BY ADMIN]. I find it strange to see that this coin disappeared from all websites: ac search, numisbid... i didn't searched in coryssa yet because the coin is hide between 2.000 coins and its long to search. I wouldn't be surprised if this coin were judged fake.

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
Re: Pupienus variant
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 02:13:17 pm »
I just see that the link dont work, here is the coin

Offline Teutoburgium

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 01:34:14 am »

Lettering SC looks odd - much smaller and executed by non-skilled hands.

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 05:05:18 am »
I agree.

I of LIBERALITAS is smooth and metled with abacus. Do you think that the legend were totaly tooled?

Offline Teutoburgium

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 01:17:41 am »

Also,  LIBERALITAS is starting with quite disproportionate large ' L ' and then letters are gradually getting smaller in size. quite odd.

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 04:17:11 am »
Thanks,

It confirm my feeling about this coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity