Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Books, Roman Emperor Profiles Grant vs Vagi  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Jeffrey D1

• Praetorian
Books, Roman Emperor Profiles Grant vs Vagi
« on: February 24, 2021, 09:01:09 am »
Hello,

My question is about the book,  "Coinage and History of the Roman Empire" by David Vagi

compared to this book

"The Roman Emperors: A Biographical Guide to the Rulers of Imperial Rome, 31 B.C. - A.D. 476"

I have the Grant book and it is really quite an excellent guide to the Roman Emperors.  There are many references to coins and their instructions.  Each Emperor gets a biographical treatment in chronological order - and these range from 1-2 pages to 20+ pages depending on the personage (e.g. Didius J vs Augustus)

My understanding is the Vagi book is similarly structured.

My question is this -  given that I like coins and I like biographies of Emperors -  is the Vagi book additive or is it too similar to Grant?

Views appreciated.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Books, Roman Emperor Profiles Grant vs Vagi
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 10:01:13 am »

Grant is similar to Vagi vol. I, but Vagi Vol II is about Coinage.

Pekka K

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 07:35:36 am »
In my opinion Vagi will not add more regarding the bios of Emperors.  It is great for its long introduction to Roman coinage and the bios are excellent summaries.

But Grant was a scholar whose entire life was dedicated to the study of the Roman Empire. There are many better and larger bios of individual Emperors but his compilation is likely the best.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jeffrey D1

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 02:15:11 pm »
Thanks to both for the reply.  I'll try Vagi just for the coinage content. 

Some more background

My book situation is this (I'm new to the hobby)

I have several RIC volumes (not sure I want to keep buying as their pricey).  I also have the Handbook of Roman Imperial Coins (Van Meter) -  I really like the Van Meter book.  Very readable and I used it to quickly identify two coins - which was fun.

I want to continue to learn about the coinage. I have a large library on books about Rome and within the genre my primary interest is Late Antiquity.

I'm looking for books that are readable.  I found Van Meter to be better for me personally vs RIC.  So trying to get deeper into the coins in a readable fashion.

I guess I'm also wondering if I'll gain anything generally by more "general" reference works at this point

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 07:40:26 pm »
I don’t think that you can go wrong with David Sear’s Roman Coins and Their Values. There are five volumes so you need only purchase the volume which covers your collecting interests. Each volume contains about 70 pages of interesting and important general introductory material which, I believe, is the same for each volume.

Tracy

Offline Jeffrey D1

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 10:13:47 am »
Thanks Tracy.  I ordered the Sear book I'm most interested in.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity