Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of Constantine? 7th Century? 22.35 mm 12.17 g  (Read 563 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal of Constantine? 7th Century? 22.35 mm 12.17 g
« on: January 31, 2021, 08:42:59 am »
I am working on identifying this interesting seal.  It measures  approximately 22.35 mm and weighs 12.17 g

On the obverse, there is a cruciform monogram solving ΘΕΟΤΟΚΕ ΒΟΗΘΕΙ (Mother of God help).

On the reverse, there is a cruciform monogram solving I believe as Constantine.  I especially like the  :Greek_Alpha: within the  :Greek_omega_small: .   It appears to me to be late 6th or 7th Century.  Am I correct?   Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine Seal of Constantine? 7th Century? 22.35 mm 12.17 g
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 05:17:32 am »
The style would indeed point to the 7th century, even though it seems to be of crude/provincial craftmanship. However, if there is no OV on top of the monogram, we would have a dative Konstantino, which would normally point to an 8th century date. Can you see if there is a trace of OV?
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 05:19:01 am »
I looked closely, but I could not see any evidence of either a  :Greek_Omicron: or a  :Greek_Upsilon_2: The border is full on the reverse side so I conclude that there is no  :Greek_Omicron: or  :Greek_Upsilon_2:. So dative and 8th Century?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 06:40:18 am »
Style suggests 7th, so I think that's the safer guess. Of course 700 is not a hard line from genitive to dative. The replacement process started somewhere around then.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 02:55:06 pm »
Thank you for your insight into this  seal!  Pogh_poor

All coins are guaranteed for eternity