Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tracy’s Relatively New Gallery  (Read 21623 times)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Tracy’s Relatively New Gallery
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2021, 01:31:23 pm »
Great coin and details... ;) :) +++

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2021, 06:06:24 pm »
If you check it out in my gallery one obvious question would be “why didn’t he list what is probably the standard modern reference for this coin, BCD Peloponnesos (or would that be Peloponnesos II?), instead of those much older references?” The answer to that question is simple: I only list a reference if I have access to it and can verify the attribution.
Tracy

Your discipline in references -and your research- are laudable.  It throws down the gauntlet to those of us, myself included, who have simply parroted what our dealers told us, checking some references when convenient, but not others. 

I just did a recon of the BCD references, to see what's available, and I was surprised to see how many are available, one way or another.  I was also surprised to see that I had several of them without knowing it  ::)HERE is my take on the availability of BCD references.  I have BCD Peloponnessos II (CNG 81/2), in hardcopy, and am happy to provide any reference from it that you'd like.

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2021, 06:57:41 pm »
Thank you for your kind words, Anaximander. In addition, thank you for the write-up of BCD online sources. I’ve copied and pasted your post for future use (with attribution to you in my document). Hell, that future use was about five minutes after I pasted your post. I used the link provided by you to LHS Auction 96 in order to find and attribute my Argolis wolf forepart triobol. Now I can add that reference to the write-up in my Forum gallery.

I will keep your kind offer in mind for Peloponnesos II, should I need someone to peak in there for me. The same offer holds for you if there is something that you should need, although I don’t have a current list of my hard copy references published and currently as a community member (i.e. neither faculty, staff, nor student) due to Covid I am not allowed to access the University of Wisconsin - Madison Memorial Library Greek and Latin reference room, so I cannot get to SNG Copenhagen, SNG Von Aulock, etc.

Take care!

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2021, 08:51:05 pm »
Thanks to Anaximander's work I was able to access BCD Peloponnesos via acsearch.info, verify the attribution of my coin, and therefore add the reference to the write-up in my gallery. I need to think more about where to find online sources.

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2021, 07:46:39 pm »
Greetings,

It’s been about a month since my last gallery upload. Here’s another Larissian obol of the bull wrestling type. The orientation on the obverse and the legend on the reverse are different from my other such obol. Also different is the addition of the lotus flower on the obverse, above the bull’s head.

Thanks for reading, and I hope that you enjoy: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-169253

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2021, 08:22:36 pm »
Greetings again. This little gem just arrived in the mail. Another Larissain obol, another prancing horse, another depiction of Larissa. This one is from the BCD collection, specifically BCD Thessaly II no. 364.1.

Obviously BCD Thessaly II is the reference, and HGC 4 references BCD Thessaly II. However, I can find no reference to this coin in BMC Thessaly, Hunterian, Traité, Weber, McClean, Imhoof-Blummer Nymphen, Herrmann, or Boston MFA. I currently don’t have access to SNG COP and don’t have access to SNG ANS. Unpublished prior to BCD Thessaly II? If anyone knows of a reference for this coin other than the two cited above, then I would be appreciative to hear of it. Thank you in advance.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-169298

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2021, 06:40:28 pm »
Hello again. It’s been quite a long while since I added a coin to my “Whitman Folder” of Aurelian and Vabalathus at Antioch (or is that Vabalathus and Aurelian?) but I have finally obtained what to me is an example of the inverse Z mint mark (Estiot), as opposed to the squared S (Bland). I am curious to know if any of you have an opinion regarding how to view this mint mark.

Thank you, and take care.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-169432

Tracy

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2021, 04:03:34 am »
Nice coin, Tracy 🤗👍

Joe
My Gallery

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2021, 08:39:07 pm »
Greetings,

It’s been about two months since I’ve added a coin to my gallery. I was excited to obtain this wonderful Athenian obol, a miniature masterpiece in hand. Given that this is my third Athena/Owl example (I also have a tetradrachm and a triobol) I decided that I might as well start going down the numismatic reference rabbit hole. I was able to obtain both Starr and Svoronos Athens. I must admit that I was unfamiliar with the format of Svoronos Athens so when it arrived and I opened it up I was quickly overwhelmed. There are over 4,500 coins pictured in 115 plates. There is no descriptive text for the coins depicted, but there are extensive indices. There will definitely be a learning curve with this reference work.

Enjoy: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=170554

Tracy

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2021, 04:07:40 pm »
 +++ Such a nice Athenian obol. Describing it as “rough” doesn’t do it justice (shame on BMC!).

I like to see your numismatic reference collection grow, too. I have neither of those two references, myself, and it’s great to know someone who does. If you need any translation from the French, I’m sure I can help.

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2021, 06:56:45 pm »
Anaximander,

Thank you, and I agree with your judgement about BMC’s judgement.

Thanks as always for the generous offer of a translation. Fortunately for me I was able to obtain the 1975 Ares Publishers version, which according to the publisher is a new edition in English with new indices in English and an added plate.

If you ever need something out of Starr or Svoronos Athens, then just let me know.

Sometimes I think that I have a numismatic reference problem more than a coin problem. Either is a good problem to have.

Be well.

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2021, 06:41:25 pm »
Greetings,

I’ve just added another fractional to my collection of Larissian coins. Another prancing horse and Larissa with a wreath and ball: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=170879

I’m thinking of advertising a new motto for my gallery, since I’ve purchased nothing but small denominations for a while now: Fractionals Forever!

Thanks for reading/looking.

Tracy

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2021, 12:40:38 pm »
 +++

I love your coin taste ... nice horse addition

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2021, 02:26:55 pm »
The fractions are a real niche area and you seem to be embracing it, which is wonderful.  I look forward to more additions!
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2021, 05:26:49 pm »
Greetings Coin Friends,

It’s been about three months since I last uploaded a coin to my gallery. I have two Sasanian drachms in the hopper, but they await more comprehensive research and write-up as I intend them to be part of a larger project related to Khusro II’s iconographic changes.

In the meantime, please enjoy another Larissian fractional. This is a trihemiobol of a type that up until now was not part of my collection: Larissa ¾ facing left on the obverse with a horse and rider on the reverse. My research indicates that there are at least two types: one with the rider holding a whip in his left hand and the IΣ of the legend in front of the horse and downwards and one with the rider not holding a whip and only the Σ of the legend in front of the horse and downwards. I have just added the latter type to my collection.

Enjoy. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=172195

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2021, 12:25:16 am »
Tracy,
That one is a beauty, both sides. I look forward to the Sassanians, not my area but related to Elymais and all are interesting,

Virgil

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2021, 03:30:46 am »
Hi, Tracy, The Larissa coin is great... +++

Congratulation

This is mine :

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=123244

Joe
My Gallery

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2021, 10:33:41 pm »
Thank you both, Virgil and Joe.

Joe, that's a nice example. Larissa looks so mournful.  :D

Virgil,

I working up my Khurso II First Crown write-up now but might not post it on its own. I'm still undecided how I want to do the write-ups, either individually and cross-referenced in some manner or perhaps as some sort of single but large write-up.

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2022, 04:13:47 pm »
Greetings Coin Friends,

My four month lull of adding to my collection has come to an end. I obtained this wonderful coin a while ago and am finally getting around to posting it. Taking a break from my Larissian fractionals, this is a drachm not of the ¾ facing type but of the profile type. The first time I’m bringing this type into my collection. I was delighted to obtain it, as I believe it to be what is referred to in BCD Thessaly I as the “prototype issue” which “...harks back to the work of Euainetos of Syracuse.”

Enjoy: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174233

Tracy

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2022, 04:18:40 pm »
Nice Larissa drachm, though I'm now curious how the reverse texture came to be.  It looks like woven fabric, which makes me wonder if it was burried against a piece of fabric that absorbed soil acidity enough to leave its imprint on the fabric of the coin?  Interesting nevertheless.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2022, 07:33:36 pm »
A beauty

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2022, 11:39:07 pm »
That one is a beauty, glad your lull is over.

Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2022, 12:47:06 pm »
Thank you Jay and Virgil.

Ron, I agree with you about the reverse. It does look as if it is a fabric pattern. The surface is quite porous with scratches. It would indeed be interesting to know how the coin was buried.

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2022, 12:27:49 pm »
Greetings,

Back to fractionals. Another obol featuring the ubiquitous horse obv with Larissa and a hydria on the rev. Now, unfortunately, I’m back in a lull. Hopefully, however, not for long.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174247

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2022, 12:37:11 pm »
That is another beautiful coin.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity