Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Constans II Gold Solidus  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Byzantine Constans II Gold Solidus
« on: July 01, 2017, 12:43:13 pm »
Picked up this gold solidus recently.  My first Byzantine gold!

Constans II. 641-668. AV Solidus (20mm, 4.40 g, 6h). Constantinople mint, 10th officina. Struck 651/2-654. Crowned and draped facing bust, holding globus cruciger / Cross potent set on three steps; I//CONOB. DOC 19j; MIB 23; SB 956. VF, a few light scratches.

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Re: Byzantine Constans II Gold Solidus
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 02:59:47 pm »
That is a super coin Nicholas. Congrats on your first Byzantine gold.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 03:40:27 pm »
I'm amazed at how flat the surfaces are compared to Greek and even Roman coins!

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 10:21:58 pm »
Congratulations on your first byzantine gold coin!

I have only ever owned one ancient gold coin, which was also a Byzantine coin, but highly worn and not at all as nice as yours.

Peter

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 08:21:36 pm »
Yes, this is a well-struck and well-preserved specimen. 

But Constans II is an interesting choice of emperor for one's first Byzantine gold coin. 

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 09:24:52 pm »
I knew nothing about him.  I just liked the look (and the price).

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 04:25:13 am »
Those were tumultuous times.  It was a crazy century.  You can see it from the iconography on the coins (circles for eyes? and that beard!), and you can see it in the poor condition for quite a lot of the bronze coinage.  By now you have probably read that Constans II was murdered in his bath by his chamberlain?  Purportedly because of his plans to move the capital to Syracuse, and because the emperor was hated by the citizens of Constantinople?  The interesting tidbit posted on Wikipedia records that Constantinople made contact with the imperial court in China during his reign.  It sure would have been interesting to see.   

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 11:40:47 am »
I haven't read up on him yet, just Sear's short introduction.  Any recommended readings?

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 11:32:05 pm »
I haven't read up on him yet, just Sear's short introduction.  Any recommended readings?

Sear's introductions are a bit too short in my opinion.  Goodacre's introductions in Coinage of the Byzantine Empire are a little bit longer and more interesting to read, but even then they are only a page or two long.  I attach the intro for Constans II for your reference.  Although Goodacre's introductions are better, Goodacre as a reference is a bit dated.  Having said that, there are quite a few pictures and you can probably find a cheap copy. 

If you want to read a narrative history, I recommend John Julius Norwich's three volume history of Byzantium.  The one volume condensed version is too condensed and not as interesting to read.  Otherwise there is always Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.  Gibbon is biased and too critical, but is otherwise a gifted writer.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 09:47:08 pm »
Great story.  What are the primary sources he is drawing from?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity