Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman oil lamp  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Jan

• Consul
Roman oil lamp
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:49:37 am »
This is a second oil lamp from a lot that I bought recently and any comments on it are much appreciated. It looks old to me but I am far from certain. If genuine, any information on time period, region of origin etc would be a great help. Length is 115 mm, height 35 mm.
Thanks in advance!
Jan

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Roman oil lamp
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:26:38 pm »
This is either a genuine piece or a very sophisticated fake as it looks very good.  I suspect the former.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jan

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 03:41:32 pm »
Thank you Shawn, I much appreciate your comments on this one! I find nothing that suggests that it is a fake, but it is like during the early days of coin collecting, I do not yet have an eye for what looks right and what looks suspicious.

I would love to narrow the attribution down in time and space. Would I be right saying that it is Central Mediterranean, perhaps Italian, and 1st century?
Jan

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 04:30:35 pm »
It is a Roman volute lamp, likely from the second half of 1st century AD.  It was probably made in Italy or the province of Africa (modern Tunisia).

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Strobilus2

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Ancient Lamps Expert
    • RomQ Collection - Ancient Lamps
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 06:34:52 pm »
Shawn's attribution is perfectly correct. The nozzle has been restored.

David
David Knell

All coins are guaranteed for eternity