Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "Bronze" oil lamp in terracotta!  (Read 6596 times)

Offline Jan

• Consul
"Bronze" oil lamp in terracotta!
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:44:18 am »
I recently came across a lot with a few oil lamps and couldn't resist buying them, even though my knowledge about these items is very limited. All items came from a collection that was assembled in the 1950s to 1980s. This one appears to be bronze, length is 107 mm and height 27 mm. First of all, is it a modern fake/reproduction? If genuine, any information on time period, region of origin etc would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Jan

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Bronze oil lamp
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:25:17 pm »
I only know this type in terracota so this looks like a cast metal fake to me but I am no expert in this era.  Maybe others know better.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jan

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 04:05:17 pm »
Thank you Shawn, you are right, one closer inspection it is indeed terracotta. I used my microscope to look at it in more detail and I am able to see some surface within one of the entrance holes that gives it away. I should probably have understood this from the weight that ought to have been somewhat larger. The patina looks quite nice and if it is a fake someone did a good job trying to make it look old. I am still suspisious though, are objects ever found with this kind of patina?
Cheers, Jan

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 04:25:52 pm »
That's terracotta?!  No, never seen a terracotta patina or glaze like that.  looks more like someone tried to fake a "bronze" item in terracotta

The lamp doesn't look good either way to me.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jan

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 02:10:22 am »
Well, the outer surface looks like and feels like bronze, but the visible internal surfaces appear to be clean terracotta without any patina/glaze. I have to conclude that this is a rather well-made fake in terracotta that has got a glaze and subsequent patination to make it look like bronze. Probably an old tourist fake, maybe a Grand Tour item. Thank you Shawn for helping me shed some light on this lamp :)
Jan

Offline Strobilus2

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Ancient Lamps Expert
    • RomQ Collection - Ancient Lamps
Re: "Bronze" oil lamp in terracotta!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 06:38:06 pm »
Modern tourist souvenir.

David
David Knell

All coins are guaranteed for eternity