Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Penetrating oil?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Jeff K

• Praetorian
Penetrating oil?
« on: December 18, 2015, 07:52:21 pm »
Anyone ever tried using a penetrating oil to get under the dirt?  I was just toying with the idea of using some of my CLP (Gun Oil), it's fantastic at removing carbon deposits, would it work as well on coins?  Would it hurt the patina?

Online clueless

• Caesar
Re: Penetrating oil?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 03:29:30 pm »
Olive oil, that's the stuff to use.

I really don't know how weapon oil would behave when used to clean coins. I ain't so sure it's an good idea, because it is petroleum based and neither do I think it is a good idea to use some solvent based bore cleaning agent.

Clueless

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 07:56:40 pm »
I've tried penetrating oil; can't recommend it.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 11:34:10 am »
I have used penetrating oil, gun oil in fact, as part of the process of cleaning large iron objects (horse-shoes, spurs, etc).  I would not do it for coins.  Wrong chemistry - you are not removing carbon deposits from coins.  I think the oil would react negatively to the coin.  It would certainly make further cleaning a pain.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity