Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tell me about Roman Nails  (Read 4600 times)

Offline Jeff K

• Praetorian
Tell me about Roman Nails
« on: December 03, 2015, 08:52:35 pm »
So in about two weeks I am going to be doing a short presentation at the college on the crucifixion of Jesus and I thought it would be neat to bring in a Roman nail similar to the ones that would have been used, the trouble is I have never seen one in person and do not know how to spot fakes and I have a strong suspicion that they abound.  I see precious few sellers that have them in stock but how can I tell a fake?  What am I looking for?  Several of the few I see for sale very clearly appear to be modern railway spikes so I am a bit suspicious.  And yes, I am well aware that whatever one I may find will likely just be a building nail or almost anything but crucifixion, but that is why I said "similar to."

I am not asking values, but I assume that these are normally fairly inexpensive items (under 3 digits)?  Or should cheap equal suspicious?

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: Tell me about Roman Nails
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 07:02:43 am »
When the Roman Legionary Fortress at Inchtuthil in Scotland was excavated in the 1950s a large pit was found containing more than 750,000 iron nails and other iron objects weighing a total of ten tonnes. Many of the nails were gifted to museums but the majority of the hoard was sent to a steel works in Motherwell where they were eventually recycled. Nevertheless, enough examples of these nails survived to come up for sale from time to time.

Below are some examples of the Roman nails found there.

Alex.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 07:18:42 am »
HJB has some of these nails from that hoard and come with paperwork.

Offline Jeff K

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 10:55:04 am »
HJB?  Who is that?

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 11:02:48 am »

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 11:44:07 am »
Roman nails are very common finds on Roman sites. 

However, they are often seen as almost valueless.  They rarely appeared in museum collections because they were considered mundane and boring.  That is changing now with better displays so you often see some nails in Roman construction or Roman metalwork sections. 

Likewise they are rarely offered to collectors - not because they are rare but because they are usually weeded out of lots as junk.  That said the images Alex gives shows typical Roman nails and you can find all these for sale if you look.  They are just hard to come by.

In terms of crucifixion there is only one piece of archaeological evidence.  A skeleton from the Givat ha-Mivtar district of Jerusalem was found with the remains of an iron nail through the right heel bone.  You can find many images of this bone with the 7", square cross-section, roughly square-headed nail on the internet.

I have a Roman nail about this size in my collection.  I also used to have a whole bunch of railway spikes when I was younger.   I used to gather them from along an abandoned railway bed near where I lived.    Though railway spikes are about the same length as the Givat ha-Mitvar nail the railway spikes are much more massive - much thicker and at least 4 or 5 times the weight.  So don't be tempted to take a railway spike in as an analogy.  If you can't find a Roman nail then a 6" or 8" spike from a garden centre would be a better analogy for display.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Fiorenza21

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 07:53:34 pm »
I have a number of nails found in the Balkans. I'm not sure if these are Roman or later and I've always regarded them as ambiguous as to time period. I added a ruler in inches for comparison. Most are square in cross-section and others are round. One of the  round ones has a pyramid shaped head.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 08:49:50 pm »
Regarding the heel bone found with the nail still embedded:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehohanan

There is a copy of this artifact in the Israel Museum in Jerusalem, which I saw several years ago when we visited Israel.  I believe the original is in an Italian museum.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 09:14:35 pm »
When the Roman Legionary Fortress at Inchtuthil in Scotland was excavated in the 1950s a large pit was found containing more than 750,000 iron nails and other iron objects weighing a total of ten tonnes. Many of the nails were gifted to museums but the majority of the hoard was sent to a steel works in Motherwell where they were eventually recycled.

What an extraordinary act of cultural heritage vandalism!

I am surprised that this action was sanctioned by the archaeological community. They may have been "only nails"  but the find volume and context were significant from a cultural heritage perspective and destruction by recycling irreversibly destroyed that for future researchers.  

Surely it would have been better to return them to the discovery context, and even re-bury them, so that the possibility of future research and study was not irreversibly destroyed.

Perhaps it speaks to changing times and attitudes, but I find the action almost incomprehensible.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 12:06:17 am »
I attended the Texas Numismatic Association's annual coin show in Arlington Texas earlier today.  While there were a few dealers there with some decent coins, nothing jumped out at me as something I had to buy.

But, I was able to buy two Inchtuthil nails from a dealer who had about two dozen in his case.  I had wanted an example of these nails since HJB offered them somewhat regularly a few years ago, but I just never bought any.

The larger one weighs 12.40 grams, and the smaller one weighs 9.80 grams.

Craig

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 09:13:09 am »
So are they Inchtuthil style nails or are they reportedly from the hoard??

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 08:15:54 pm »
They are from the Inchtuthil hoard, and were purchased by this dealer from HJB.

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 08:18:35 am »
That is great. Mine are unprovenance from dealers' junk lots. Very cool to have ones from the hoard.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2021, 01:52:50 pm »
I think I may see a pattern developing here....

Almost two years ago to the day, I attended the Texas Numismatic Association's coin convention in Arlington, and came home with the two Inchtuthil nails pictured a few posts above.

Fast forward two years, to yesterday, when I again attended the TNA show.  It wasn't held in 2020 due to the pandemic, so this was my first time attending since 2019.

And guess what I bought, again ?  Yep, several more Inchtuthil nails, from the same dealer I bought them from in 2019.  One good thing is that these were slightly less expensive than my first two.

So I go to a coin show and buy nails....I can't wait to see what I find the next time I go to Home Depot!

Craig

All coins are guaranteed for eternity