Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine weights plus a Carausius  (Read 1326 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Byzantine weights plus a Carausius
« on: May 19, 2013, 04:52:31 pm »
Hi,

Just wanted to share the spoils of the day. I went to the coast today with my partner, Val, and her sister (see the picture looking over the town from Scarborough castle, besieged during the English Civil War in the 1640’s when a series of extremely rare siege coins were struck plus the location of a fourth century Roman signal station.

I called into my usual little store that deals predominantly in fossils and geology specimens but also has some coins and antiquities. I picked up, for a very reasonable price, a coin of Carausius plus three Byzantine weights (a one solidus (N), a three solidus (N gamma) and a one ounce commercial weight (gamma alpha)).

Couldn’t wait to photograph them properly so took them in my hand on my phone sat by the castle.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Byzantine weights plus a Carausius
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:19:41 pm »
 That upper right weight is very nice!, would love to see at some point a picture of both sides, weight and size.

CW

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:16:28 am »
Hi,

Thanks, I was taken by it. Yes I'll do a pphoto and weigh it but I'm afraid it won't be for a few days.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:09:11 pm »
Hi,

The weights are 4.1 grammes, 13.2 grammes and 26.8 grammes respectively. The Commercial weight is effectively a six solidus weight.

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity