Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine weights  (Read 1614 times)

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Byzantine weights
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:12:07 am »
Has anyone seen a accounting of what this may be. It was in a group of weights of large variety. Is it a bowl that would be used to hold a item being weighed?
20mm wide 5mm deep 8.86 gm
and the one with a whorl pattern is 15mm/5mm 5.53 gm

The other is a lead weight
17mm/9mm thick  32.9 gm

I am not familiar with lead byzantine weights so might this be attributed to a earlier date

thanks

cw

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Re: Byzantine weights
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 03:41:22 pm »
Hi,

I am also not an expert on coin weights. However, the Byzantines seem to have used composite weights which were assembled to the desired value.

For an example see    [LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Maybe the "bowl" has been a frame for such an assembly. Of course this is speculative ...

byzcoll

Offline Basil

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:44:29 pm »
Hi,

no 1: Is a part of an early byzantine or late roman cup-weight. The cup-weight usually consist 5 or 6 pieces which fit together and form a cup. Each part is different in weight and dimensions. The weight in total is mostly one roman or byzantine Libra. Commercial or trade weight!

no 2: I'm not shure but it seems to be an early arabic weight

no 3: is a late roman lead weight. The obverse ist marked with eight punches. The eight punches could stand for eight sextula. 1 sextula = 4,5 g. That means the weight is missing approx. 8% which is not unusual. (corrosion, wear....) ect. commercial or trade weight!

Basil

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:05:19 pm »
So the pellets represent sextula on these lead trade weights, that makes sense with some other weights I have.

I presume then that on this 14 sided polygon weight the two pellets represent sextula also, thoughit seems a little under at 6.29 gm?

thanks

cw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity