Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rare Septimius Severus SAEC FRVGIF denarius  (Read 1749 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Rare Septimius Severus SAEC FRVGIF denarius
« on: September 29, 2017, 02:40:49 pm »
Hi!

I would like to share with you a rare early denarius of Septimius Severus with reverse that seemed to be borrowed from Clodius Albinus. Also, the portrait of Septimius Severus seems to carry some features of Clodius Albinus too, - have a look!

I was able to find only one analogue of this type on internet - there is a coin in ANS, that is it...also there was one specimen in RD hoard, which we cannot see unfortunately.

RSC estimated this type in 150 pounds, which is a lot  for RSC, especially compared with other types, I believe such high estimate of RSC indicates the rarity of this type.

Ob.IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG, head laur right
Rev. SAEC FRVGIF COS, Saeculum Frugiferun, radiate, standing left holding winged caduceus and trident

RIC 19 (R), RSC 622 (150 pounds)

2,82g - 18mm - 7h

Does anyone have a better-looking coin?- would be interesting to see a well-looking denarius of this type, as mine is a bit off)!

Thank you for your time!

Z.

Offline timka

• Caesar
Re: Rare Septimius Severus SAEC FRVGIF denarius
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 06:01:54 pm »
Quote from: imperator on September 29, 2017, 03:32:47 pm
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=+Saeculum+Frugiferum+septimius&category=1-2&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1&currency=usd&thesaurus=1&order=0&company=

Could not find a denarius to +++

Thank you, imperator! I also wondered why bronzes and gold are more ubiquitos than silver for this type....this is uncommon).

Offline Ronald

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:19:17 pm »
RIC IV Septimius Severus 19 (denarius)

IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG: Head of Septimius Severus, laureate, right

SAEC FRVGIF COS: Saeculum Frugiferum, radiate, naked to waist, standing left, holding winged caduceus in right hand an

Obverse of 1951.94.23: American Numismatic Society

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 02:35:47 am »
Quote from: imperator on September 29, 2017, 07:19:17 pm
RIC IV Septimius Severus 19 (denarius)

IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG: Head of Septimius Severus, laureate, right

SAEC FRVGIF COS: Saeculum Frugiferum, radiate, naked to waist, standing left, holding winged caduceus in right hand an

Obverse of 1951.94.23: American Numismatic Society

Hi, yes, this is the only coin i found which i mentioned in my initial post - ANS (American Numismatic Numismatic). Thank you for posting the pic! I can see now there is the same reverse die on both coins!

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 04:39:20 am »
Hi,

There is a specimen (unillustrated) in the Hunter collection, Glasgow. There was also the specimen, illustrated below, in the Bob Arnold collection of Severan silver sale (Glendining, 21 November 1984).

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline septimus

• Consul
    • Monnaies de Septime Sévère et sa famille (193-217)
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 11:46:31 am »
I've found this one in my database

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 12:19:54 pm »
Thank you, Mauseus! It seems that ANS coin and former Bob Arnold coin share both ob. and rev. dies, as well as my coin has the same reverse die too.

Thank you Septimus for sharing this nice specimen!..notably it is minted from different dies compared with other die-related coins mentioned in this thread.   

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 03:19:27 pm »
Just FYI. The coin with the black background posted by Septimus os part of my collection.

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 04:04:10 pm »
Just FYI. The coin with the black background posted by Septimus os part of my collection.

+++ +++ +++

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 04:52:35 pm »
Well played, Martin ... well played

Offline Nicholas Z

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 11:38:37 pm »
I have seen portraiture like this before.  Legends read for Septimius but the portrait is distinctively Albinus.  Was that fairly normal in the issues of 193-196 before Albinus was dealt with?  All coinage except for that period that I recall encountering had portraits of Septimius with a more angular or triangle shaped face (with more pronounced features seemingly coming in the work of the Eastern mints I think) but in these early years this portrait on the coin appears to have almost a squared off jaw that also appears on the portraits of Albinus.  What gives?  Laziness on the part of engravers?  An emperor and caesar who looked quite similar?  Miscommunication?  This has bothered me for a few months and I am glad that this coin and topic has come up.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity