Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Opinions Needed - Alexander Jannaeus Judaean Prutah - Real or Not?  (Read 391 times)

Offline Billy C

• Legionary
Hello again everyone,

I'm new to the world of collecting ancient coins and I could really use your opinions on the genuineness of a coin.

I'm considering purchasing a Judaean Alexander Jannaeus Prutah, the "Widow's Mite", of course (pictures attached).  I'm having trouble making up my mind if this is an unusually well-struck coin of this type or if it less than genuine.  I would appreciate anyone's input of what looks right about this coin and what might look "off", if anything.

I appreciate everyone's time and help.

Best regards,

Billy

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Opinions Needed - Alexander Jannaeus Judaean Prutah - Real or Not?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 01:58:19 pm »
As a rule, vetting of potential purchases for authenticity is not allowed on FORVM, nor is discussion regarding price

Coins purchased from FORVM are guaranteed to be authentic for life, and right now I believe there a decent number of early Judaean coins available for purchase on here.

But that being said, I see nothing that would lead me to question the coin.

Craig

Offline Billy C

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 05:49:51 pm »
As a rule, vetting of potential purchases for authenticity is not allowed on FORVM, nor is discussion regarding price

Coins purchased from FORVM are guaranteed to be authentic for life, and right now I believe there a decent number of early Judaean coins available for purchase on here.

But that being said, I see nothing that would lead me to question the coin.

Craig,

Thank you for the reply and your opinion.  It was very helpful.

And I sincerely apologize for breaking the no-vetting questions before a purchase rule here on FORVM.  I wasn't aware of that and I appreciate you letting me know.  It was a rookie mistake.

Best regards,

Billy

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 11:05:57 pm »
Know the coin or know the seller. If you do not know a coin is authentic using your own knowledge, buy from a seller that is reputable and has the expertise to authenticate it for you. This is the most fundamental advice for ancient coin collectors.

I will never buy a coin if I am uncertain of the authenticity, unless it is coming from a dealer with expertise that I trust AND they offer a guarantee without time limit.  And I have been a dealer since 1997.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity