Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman? Archer's Ring  (Read 415 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Roman? Archer's Ring
« on: February 24, 2023, 03:42:43 pm »
The rings below were submitted on consignment, described as Roman. There are many on the internet described as Roman. But are they Roman? Are they even Roman era? The only place I have ever seen them (similar to the palm thimbles I posted a while back) is sales listings. None in archeological reports or museum catalogs - with the exception of a VERY SIMILAR ring on a museum website identified as Indian, 17th - 18th century - https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/30130. Honestly I haven't spent a lot of time on these yet, but I don't want to waste time if they are not Roman.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Roman? Archer's Ring
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 09:36:53 pm »
I don't recall ever seeing such a ring in a Roman excavation report.  I would be surprised if they were Roman or ancient, and would love to see the evidence if anyone else has seen it.  (I certainly haven't read everything.)

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 09:50:12 pm »
There’s a very good website with extremely detailed information on archer’s rings - https://www.collector-antiquities.com/real-or-fake/fake-rings/fake-rings-page-2/fake-rings-and-intaglios-page-3/fake-rings-and-intaglios-page-4.html. The general gist is that the experts on Roman archery are very suspicious of anything described as a 'Roman' archer's ring - https://www.collector-antiquities.com/real-or-fake/1/is-this-genuine-or-fake-section-4/real-or-fake-section-4-page-2/is-this-genuine-section-4-page-3/real-or-fake-section-4-page-4/is-this-genuine-section-4-page-5.html. One of the experts persuasively argues that 'Roman' thumb rings are a contradiction in terms because the only place one might find an archer’s ring would be in a Hun or Massagetaen auxiliary's equipment, since Roman (and most allied/associated) archers used the two fingered draw.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 10:15:10 am »
Thanks Serendipity. I forgot about the Collector Antiquities fake ring pages. I just added that link to our NumisWiki rings page. There are a LOT of fakes on those pages.

It makes sense to me that there are no Roman archer rings. I have researched arrowheads a bit and did not come across a single mention of the rings in association with Greeks or Romans. I also have a stack of ring books about a foot and half tall and there is not a single archer ring in any of them. These books do include medieval, modern, and Asian rings, so they actually should have some archers rings, but they don't.

I am going to have to tell my consignor, I have to return the rings to him.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 11:05:15 am »
There are definitely genuine Turkic ones.  If you google archer rings and Istanbul museum you can see articles and even a video.

Not sure how early they started but most of the bronze ones on the market - from East Europe and the Middle East - are likely Ottoman.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity