Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seal of George Archon? 7th/8th Century? 27.5 mm 25.48g.  (Read 455 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Seal of George Archon? 7th/8th Century? 27.5 mm 25.48g.
« on: September 24, 2021, 12:57:46 pm »
I recently received this interesting seal.  It measures 27.5 mm and weighs 25.48g. 
On the obverse is, within a decorated ring, :  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>: Θεοτόκε βοήθι  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:
On the reverse is, within a decorated ring, :

:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:
   :Greek_Gamma:  :Greek_epsilon:  :Greek_omega_small:  :Greek_Rho:
 :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :A3:  :Greek_Rho:
 :Greek_Chi:  :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Tau:
 :Csquare:   

I believe that it reads “Mother of God, help George, Archon” and dates to the late 7th Century.  Am I correct in my reading?

Did the title “archon” denote a provincial governor at this time?  I have also read that it may denote a ruler, such as used by the Bulgarian kings,or a position in the church

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity