Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pius with something attached to his chest  (Read 850 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Pius with something attached to his chest
« on: June 09, 2016, 07:07:58 am »
Hi!

I would like to check with you this type of drapery on far shoulder of left-facing Pius. It does not look similar to the other standard draperies. There is something like circular outline around an object attached to Pius’s chest. Also, under closer inspection this object appears to be a head – of course it is not for sure. However, could it be Medusa head, or some other God’s head, which are seen sometimes on emperor’s sculptures? What do you think? Also, did you see something like that on Pius bronzes? - may be it is more visible on larger bronzes.

RIC 179 (var) , Cohen 263 (var)

3,2g -  18mm – 0’

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Z.

Offline timka

• Caesar
Re: Pius with something attached to his chest
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 07:12:11 am »
...this is a picture that was done with magnification lense. Sorry, it is not good quality, but at least some further details can be seen. Also, I enclosed two sculptures with some divinities on the chest. Could it be something like this on the denarius?

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 10:01:09 am »
this?
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:45:36 am »
An aegis, with Medusa head at center.
Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 05:21:03 am »
Curtis, thank you for clarifying this. I imagined aegis a bit differently, so this one confused me. Below I enlosed a pic with even larger magnification.

Eric, thank you for a SMILE sign...one of the most symbolic signs.  I can see where this habit came from. Two thousand years ago people used to carry  Medusa's head on their chests, but now it is replaced with Smile signs on t-shirts ...Medusa is not in fashion any longer :laugh:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity