Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Procopivs - Not in RIC or in Cohen  (Read 5936 times)

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Procopivs - Not in RIC or in Cohen
« on: February 01, 2005, 05:40:58 pm »
Hi

This coin is not in RIC& Cohen, I find it only on WWinds (ANS database that it sells the image).

The my goes out now from the chaotic heap of my coins.

mm 18
d/ DN PRO(CO) - PIVS PF AVG
r/ (SECVRIT) AS- REIPVB
    in ex.   (C)ONSE

I need reference,  rarity and each other news.

Thank you

ser

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re:Not in RIC and not in Cohen
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 06:27:27 pm »
Hi Rugser!

There is only such a type for Valens, RIC IX, Constantinopolis 21(c)
obv. DN VALENS - PF AVG
        pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed r.
rev. SECVRITAS - REI PVBLICAE
       Victory advancing l., holding wreath and palm
       exe: CONSB, Delta, E, Z
dated 25 Feb. 364 - 24 Aug. 367; common
From Arpas hoard E, Z
From Zagreb B, Delta

So it seems to be another type you found, not listed in RIC. For Procopius the issue-dates should be 28 Sept. 365 - 27 May 366.

Regards

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 03:17:56 pm »
I copied and pasted the entire wildwinds link and got the right picture, SECURITAS-REIPUB. Here it is:
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 03:31:03 pm »
Though not in Cohen or RIC, specimens of this coin have been emerging in recent years: the first published in 1977, one in BM, one in the current Berk catalogue 142, lot 345, and now these two.  See commentary to Berk coin below, which I wrote in ignorance of the Wildwinds specimen, which is incidentally from a new officina, delta or A rather than E.

The very rare earliest issue of Procopius' bronze coinage, not only continuing Valentinian's reduced weight standard and copying his right-facing portrait, but also taking over Valentinian's reverse legend SECVRITAS REIPVB, combined with Procopius' normal type of emperor standing.  Only two specimens of this coin seem to have been recorded until now:  that published by W. Weiser in Money trend 1977, pp. 8-12, which was later sold in Schulten Sale, October 1984, 771; and a second in BM mentioned by Weiser.  Our specimen may be the third recorded.  Very soon, Procopius introduced his own reverse legend, REPARATIO FEL TEMP, to replace that of Valentinian; soon after that, he reintoduced Julian II's heavier standard for bronze coins and changed the direction of his obverse portrait from right to left.  Most of Procopius' surviving bronze coins belong to this large last issue, on Julian II's standard and with portrait facing left
Curtis Clay

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 12:07:34 pm »
I posted this coin on another thread yesterday and was alerted to this thread (thanks BenB and Rupert), so please excuse posting it twice but I thought it relevant to re-post it here.

I have had this coin for seven years and obviously hadn't looked at it properly. On examination yesterday I found the following:

Obv: Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right. D.N. PROCOPIVS P.F. AVG.
Rev: Procopius standing facing head right, holding spear and leaning on shield. SECVRITAS REIPVB.  In exergue CONS(?)

If I read Curtis correctly above, this must be about the 6th specimenof this type, or maybe the 2nd with a spear instead of a cross. Whatever, quite rare!
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Ed D

• Consul
    • The Carus Dynasty
Re: Procopivs - Not in RIC or in Cohen
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 04:32:33 pm »
Hello i'am new on this forum, i saw this thread of Procopius. So i make this coin less rare.

Regards EDDOP

Massanutten

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 03:38:03 am »
    And here is an example of the obverse right facing piece where the lighter weight of Valentinian was still in use (2.4 gm, 16.3 mm), but the reverse inscription was changed to REPARATIO FEL TEMP.

Massanutten

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 04:06:04 am »
  Just checked under MY pillow and well..........  I believe this piece is perhaps transitional to the higher weight indicated in the chronology by Curtis.  Note that the flan was too heavy and the mint had to pare it back by clipping the edges.  The coin is the REPARATIO FEL TEMP type at 15 mm and 3.1 gm. 

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 06:35:29 am »
Here is my example:

Procopius AE3, struck after September 365 AD at Constantinople mint.
Obv: D N PROCOPIVS P F AVG, diademed and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: SECVRITAS REI PVB, Procopius standing left, head right, holding labarum right and leaning with left hand on shield.
Ex: CONSE (?)
Ø 16.5-17 mm, 1.55 g.

Regards
Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 05:13:24 pm »
 :D
I would every body to share my nice Procopius,what is different from others coins is the spear on the Rev:
Obv:
     DN PROCO     PIVS  PF [A]VG
     Pearl-diademed,draped,cuirassed bust r.
Rev:
        SECVRITAS    REIPVB
        Emperor stg.l.,head r.,holding spear in r.hand
and resting l.on shield.
         In ex :CONS  :Greek_Theta
weight:2,35 g
ENJOYYYYYYYY :o
Nassif
diameter:17,4 mm
axes:12 h

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 05:19:04 pm »
my coin-Procopius

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 09:45:53 am »
This one was sold in Ebay a few days ago for 99€, while I spent too much time making my mind up whether or not to buy it... :(

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity