Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The staff of Asklepios  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
The staff of Asklepios
« on: March 29, 2006, 05:20:46 am »
Hi!

If you see a rev. with Asklepios stg. it is always described as 'Asklepios holding his serpent-staff'. But if you take a closer look then you see very often that this is not the case but the staff only leans loosely against Asklepios' hips. I have never seen this with other rods. Sceptres, wands, spears and so on are hold by the hand of the figure. I think it is a very instable position too!

I think this staff position is not at random, but I have no explanation for that! Anyone who does know the meaning or have a suggestion?

Every contribution highly welcomed!

Best regards 

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: The staff of Asklepios
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:10:32 pm »
Askelpios does sometimes lean on the staff that is couched in his armpit, but, as you observe, on many coins it is only propped against his side; also, on the cistophori and on small bronzes of Pergamon, we see the staff, or the so-called 'temple key', by itself with the snake entwining it.  Just to start discussion, since someone else may have read dissertations on it, I have thought that a staff is normal for handling a familiar snake.  A snake wants to climb up something.  In a jungle he'll climb up vines or trees.  Hygieia has hers use her own body, but, for whatever reason, Asklepios does not; his climbs the staff. We also see Athena's spear and sometimes another goddess's scepter entwined with her snake.  Athena's Erichthonios snake climbs the Acropolis olive tree, and the guardian of the apples of immortality climbs the tree that bears them.  For a mantic Apollo, the tripod or a tree may serve; indeed, a tripod alone often serves.  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity