Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Anti-Christian Emperors  (Read 24903 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: The Anti-Christian Emperors
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2005, 03:59:02 am »
Unfortunately,  Christians writers are extremely biased. We can see such a  phenomenon
of partiality and censoreship in XX century. To take ceriously Christians writers it is the same as consider as reliable source "The Short Course of the History of VKP(b)" (of course, communism is a political movement but with a certain features common with religeous ones).  Looking further for a historical analogy,  we can find a very recent example. When  Soviet Empire collapsed, Moscow was inundated by missionaires of different religions ready to invest good money to infiltrate the land. Was the  Roman Catholic Church active? No, of course.   Please,  may your own suggestions  on Churches which were the most active. But they did not succeed. The Russian Orthodox Church, the traditional one, could rebuff all attacks, create a union with the power and restore its positions.   It seems that similar processes one could expect in Ancient Rome where Oriental religions were competing during the 2nd and 3rd century and in that period Christianism was not the dominating and the most attractive one.  The difference is that the domestic religion was fractioned between numerous temples and failed down in face of a totalitarian monotheism.   

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2005, 10:52:32 am »
I think it ultimately failed because times were changing and the old paganism didn't offer sonvincing answers any more.I think the near-breakdown in the 3rd Century was probably crucial; when the empire came together again there was a clear move towards monotheism in a way which I don't see earlier. I haven't come across any historical studies of this though.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Hermes III

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2005, 01:52:25 am »
One aspect of Polytheism is that those who belonged to one cult had a begrudging respect for those who belonged in another cult, and they could live side by side without trying to convert or destroy each other.   The Christian church set out from the start to make converts.  They had an agenda and this captured the attention of the Roman ruling class.  They eventually made converts among the wives and daughters in the upper classes and, once they had the women, it was inevitable that rest of the empire would fall to Christianity.

Hermes III

« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2005, 04:52:18 am »
 ;D

Massanutten

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2005, 10:18:30 pm »
  I surmise that you have a moderately bent sense of humor?  If so I have found a kindred spirit.  If not then I apologize but, get behind me Satan!!

Hermes III

« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2005, 06:17:32 am »
Hi Bob,
Yes.  I looked for a smiley face with a tounge in his cheek, but I couldn't find one!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity