Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Does this lamp look authentic to you?  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
Does this lamp look authentic to you?
« on: April 07, 2009, 11:32:45 am »
Hi there! What do you think does this lamp look authentic to you? Any insights gratefully recieved! Thanks

Strobilus

Re: Does this lamp look authentic to you?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:25:18 am »
I'm afraid that your lamp is almost certainly a modern fake made in Bulgaria. These are commonly artificially aged (often extremely convincingly) to pass them off as originals.

The clay and simulated slip are typical of the type and become instantly recognisable after handling a few examples. The wide flat shoulder and plain base are also common features (though not invariable).

I'm sorry to note that these Bulgarian fake volute lamps have saturated the market in the past few years. They have often fooled even experienced dealers and top auctioneers, and examples crop up everywhere.

A colleague of mine deliberately ordered a few of these directly from one of the makers in Bulgaria in order to familiarise himself with them. They do become instantly recognisable after awhile.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity