Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Collection Strategies for the New Collector  (Read 36252 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Collection Strategies for the New Collector
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2017, 08:19:49 am »
I very much agree with Curtis, I think he is absolutely correct. I am a collector , have been all my life, granted I do love history but with each collection I have had my prized possessions and those have always created a sense of pride. My profession is Art Sales and people do collect art for all the reasons he listed as well. Collectables are desires.

I started my Ancient coin collections with Roman Empresses, I moved on until a coin that I found in a mixed lot caught my attention. I choose Byzantine coins not because I am deeply religious, I just appreciated the coins and I loved the fact that there are fewer collectors of mid medieval Byzantine bronze, it was a time period that has the most potential for new finds and new information. I never thought it would take this long to complete my collection but I then realized mine might be the first complete collection of my denomination.

I recommend the new collector starts broadly and then narrows down their collection focus to a common theme. Knowledge is power, so when you start getting serious about your collection you increase your knowledge regarding that theme.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline White

• Auxiliary
Re: Collection Strategies for the New Collector
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2018, 10:01:41 am »
Collect what you enjoy.  That is my best advice for a new collector.  

For me, I like coins with a good story.  The ultimate story coin is the EID MAR denarius.  Fortunately, since I cannot afford an EID MAR, almost every coin has a story.  I like to get a coin and then learn the story behind it.  That is what I enjoy.  

Every collector should collect what they enjoy most.  

As an extremely new collector, this is what I've been following - that and the focused specialty which keeps me out of bankruptcy court.   :)
For now, I've been trying to stay focused on Rome mint with specific years or emperors.  God help me when I branch out...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity