Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My East Celtic coins  (Read 58701 times)

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
My East Celtic coins
« on: December 14, 2009, 05:08:14 am »
Hi all,
I started a new album to show my East Celtic coins, mainly what found in Carpathian basin.

At first the Kapostaler type, what is one of the most know found in Hungary.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=0
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=1
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=2
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=3
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=4
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=5

Documented found
HUNGARY: Kaposvár, Nagyberki-Szalacskahegy, Hetes (Somogy County); Gerjen, Kesző-Hidegkút, Regöly, Simontornya, Szárazd (128pieces), Szekszárd, Tamási (Tolna County); Dunaszekcső (found 900 pieces AE!), Pécs-Jakab Hill (Baranya County); Moson; Sopron-Várhegy; Veszprém, Nagyláng (Fejér County); Esztergom; Páhi-Puszta (Pest County); CROATIA: Verőce – Dalj (Bácska); ROMANIA: Brassó (Transylvania); AUSTRIA: Oberleiserberg; GERMANY: Raudnizt (at Elbe river).
AR: 10.12-14.50gms; AE: 7.57-9.67gms

Most of these villages Celtic name are not known, so the today name (or sometimes the later Roman city name) are mentioned in the historical works.

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
Re: My East Celtic coins
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:10:43 am »
Background to Kapostaler coins

The Kapos (Regöly) type, which received its name from the valley of the Kapos River north of the town of Pécs in southwestern Hungary, where most coins of this type have been found. Tetradrachms and drachms are known from this group, and the discovery of coin dies in the ruins of a foundry and mint in the settlement of Szalacska nearby Kaposvár indicate that at least silver drachms of this type were minted in Szalacska in the 1st century BC. E. Gohl assigned the foundry or mint in absolute chronological terms to the middle of the 1st century BC on the basis of archaeological (tools, jewellery) and numismatic material. Later coins of the Kapos (Regöly) type in the size of tetradrachms and drachms, which were otherwise not discovered in the area of the mint in Szalacska, were minted exclusively from copper. The silver and copper coinage of the Kapos (Regöly) type were limited in monetary circulation primarily to the central Danubian region, north and east of the town of Pécs, and belonged to what has been termed the eastern Celtic minting group. D. F. Allen was inclined to the opinion that the minting of such coins could be attributed to the tribe of the Andizetes, who he incorrectly assumed had been settled in the region under consideration, but he later attributed the minting of this coinage to the Hercuniates.
The minting of silver coins of the Kapos (Regöly) type belongs to the later phase of eastern Celtic minting, and in an absolute chronology, R. Göbl placed the beginning of minting of this coin group in the period after 53 BC, and K. Biró-Sey placed it as late as just before the Roman conquest of Pannonia. D. F. Allen supported a fairly early beginning of minting silver coins of this group, while M. Torbágy placed it in the last third of the 2nd century BC. At first coins of this type were minted from high quality silver, while later the quality of the metal declined, indicating that they had a lengthy existence. A. Kerényi also decided for a lengthy minting of coins of this type because of the minting in two metals. The early silver tetradrachmas and drachmas of this type were minted at the same time, with the early tetradrachmas weighing between 12 and 14 g. Their later phase was characterized by an exceptionally poor quality of the metal from which they were minted, in most cases almost entirely copper, and the weight of these bronze coins was on average between 8 and 9 g. The large bronze coins have the same diameter as the tetradrachmas (22-23 mm), and bronze coins were also minted in the size of a drachma. M. Torbágy assigned the minting of bronze coins of the Kapos (Regöly) type to the second half of the 1st century BC. The minting of stylistically coarse coins from poor quality metal was placed by D. F. Allen at the end of the 1st cent. BC, as A. Kerényi had also suggested previously. R. Göbl, to the contrary, set forth a thesis that the coins of the Kapos (Regöly) type had been minted yet further to ca. 21 BC. An entirely new absolute chronology of minting bronze coins of the Kapos (Regöly) type was suggested by K. Biró-Sey, who explained the transition from silver to bronze minting of the Kapos (Regöly) type coins with the fact that coins with the poorer quality metal only began to be minted after the Roman conquest of Pannonia and that they were used exclusively for local purposes. The fact that bronze coins were not documented in the framework of the mint or foundry activities at Szalacska would perhaps speak in favor of their very late minting. Nonetheless, the thesis about the minting of bronze coins of this type as late as the Roman conquest of Pannonia (which can be placed in 12-9 BC) does not seem likely. The analogous minting of their own coinage among the tribe of the Eravisci in the vicinity of Budapest (again primarily for local use), immediately prior to the Roman occupation shows that the coins then minted in this area were created under the decisive influence of Roman coinage and that they were also minted according to the standard of the Roman denarius. The minting of their own coinage by Celtic tribes according to a Greek monetary standard (modelled on the tetradrachm) after the Roman conquest of Pannonia would have undoubtedly required some kind of Roman agreement, and is thus highly unlikely. Also, the minting of coins of the Syrmian type in bronze (phase C) among the more easterly Scordisci, which is similar to the example of the Kapos (Regöly) type coins at least in terms of the continuation of minting coins of the same type as in silver (phases A and B), is assigned chronologically to the mid 1st century BC. Both kinds of Celtic coinage represented in the find could theoretically have circulated monetarily for decades after the Roman occupation of Pannonia.

Source
Peter Kos: A find of Celtic coins from the area of Balina Glavica (Sinotion) in Dalmatia   
Vjesnik Arheološkog muzeja u Zagrebu. 3. serija (0350-7165) 35 (2002)
(Mentioned Hungarian persons: Krisztina Bíró-Sey, Melinda Torbágy, András Kerényi are archaeologists, and Ede Gohl was a numismatist, the editor of Dessewffy catalog)

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 05:20:23 am »
KAPOSTALER KLEINGELD type

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=6
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=7
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=8
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=9
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=10

Documented found
HUNGARY: Páhi-Puszta(110pieces)(Pest county);Soponya-Nagyláng (Fejér county); Őskü, Porva, Siófok (Veszprém county); Nagyberki-Szalacskahegy (Somogy county); Dombóvár, Keszö-Hidegkút, Szárazd, Szekszárd (Tolna county); Győr; Esztergom; CROATIA: Kis-Kőszeg (roman Bacincum), Nagy-Bodolya (old Eszék-Baranya county), Stari Jankovci (old Gömör county), SLOVAKIA: Vöröskő (Cervena Skala); CZECH REP.: Oppidum of Stradonice;
AR and AE: 2.28-7.00 (!) gms

There’s an interesting found, what wasn’t in celtic area, but in Yazig-Sarmatian territory between Danube and Tisza river. This is the Hungarian Grand Plan, where was a lot of marshland because of the two river catchment area, and celts not lived so unstable lands. Páhi-puszta (puszta=grazing ground) was near the important trade road, - what connected the roman Intercisa and a Yazig village near Csongrád (at the Tisza river) – where lived Attila and his huns 500 years later.  Páhi-puszta found Kapostal coins, several bronze tetradrachms and drachms. This hoard probably was the price the bought horse(s), what celts bought from Yaziges, or just simple a commercial traveller dug these coins in that area.

Most of these villages Celtic name are not known, so the today name (or sometimes the later Roman city name) are mentioned in the historical works.

nikos k

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 05:21:38 am »
Very interesting style..
Especially  first example has got a wild beauty.

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 03:18:01 am »
Thank you Nikos.

My next celtic coin is a Grurgjevac (or Djurdevac) type.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=11

Documented Hungary found 5 pieces: Belovar (old Belovar-Körös County); Vác (Pest County); Szalacska (Somogy County); Szárazd (Tolna County); Velemszentvid (Vas County)
AR fourree: 5.95-7.67gms; AR: 8.02-12.52gms

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:21:41 am »
Background to Gjurgjevac type

Coins of the Djurdevac (or Gjurgjevac) type are classified to the group of Celtic coins that K. Pink assigned to what is known as the Croatian group, while R. Göbl first attributed them to the eastern Norican group, and later to the tribal alliance of the Taurisci. The coin type received its name from the largest hoard of coins of this type, noted in the literature as Djurdevac, although the hoard was actually discovered in the vicinity of Šemovec near Djurdevac in the Drava River basin. Some 400 tetradrachms of this type were discovered in Šemovec in 1887, but of the original hoard only somewhat more than a quarter of the coins was preserved in the Numismatic Department of the Archaeological Museum in Zagreb. The mint for coins of this type must be sought somewhere in the vicinity of Djurdevac, and the otherwise rare tetradrachms were primarily in circulation in the general settlement area of the Celtic tribe of the Taurisci. It is characteristic that this is the only coin type among those attributed to the Taurisci whose circulation extended to the far easternmost edge of the region of circulation of the Celtic coinage of the tribal alliance of the Taurisci, and is not rarely also documented beyond their area of settlement.
K. Pink placed the beginning of minting the Djurdevac coin type in the period around 90 BC. R. Göbl placed their minting somewhat later, in the period between 55 BC up to the conclusion of the Taurisci minting their own coinage in 21 BC. The minting of coinage of this type certainly had a long extent, as in the latest phases they were minted from silver of exceptionally poor quality. Göbl first conjectured that the Illyrian Wars of Octavian in 35-33 BC also encompassed the area where the Taurisci minted their coinage, although he was inclined to the opinion that this did not mark the end of minting their own coinage, which would have continued to some point before 16/15 BC, when the Romans annexed Noricum. It should be mentioned that today it is possible to establish that the minting of typologically related silver coinage both among the Noricans as well as the Taurisci started considerably earlier than Göbl had thought. D. F. Allen claimed that the Norican Celts had begun to mint their own coinage considerably before the end of the 2nd century BC, although his hypothesis remained unnoticed. G. Dembski on the basis of fairly unfounded arguments briefly supported the hypothesis that the Noricans would have begun to mint their own coinage ca. 113 BC during preparations for the war with the Cimbri and Teutones, and somewhat later the Taurisci would also have started minting their own coinage. Direct material proof for the claim to a fairly early beginning of minting among the tribe of the Norici has finally been gained only with the discovery of the Enemonzo find near the Zuglio region in Friuli, where early tetradrachms of the Kugelreiter type were found together with Roman victoriati, which were ceased to be minted in 170 BC. On the basis of later detailed analyses, G. Gorini justifiably suggested placing the minting of the earliest emissions of Norican coinage between 140 and 130 BC. The beginning of the second phase of Norican minting, characterized by Latin coin legends, was placed by Gorini (and similarly Göbl) without any convincing arguments in the period after 60/50 BC, and by Dembski in 64/63 BC, just before the besieging of the Norici by the Taurisci and the Boii.

Sources
Peter Kos: A find of Celtic coins from the area of Balina Glavica (Sinotion) in Dalmatia   
Vjesnik Arheološkog muzeja u Zagrebu. 3. serija (0350-7165) 35 (2002)
Robert GÖBL – Typologie und Chronologie der keltischen Münzprägung in Noricum. Wien, 1973

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 05:34:16 am »
Hi all,

My next celtic coin is a BUCKELAVERS (mit Kugeln=with balls) type

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=12

Documented found in Hungary 5 pieces: Diosgyör (today a part of Miskolc, Borsod-Abauj-Zemplén County), Óhuta (today Bükkszentlászló in BAZ County also). (There’s a mistype in sources, because Óhuta is in BAZ, not in Nograd County); Győr, Sopron (Györ-Moson-Sopron County), Vác (Pest County).
This coin belongs to the Púchov culture - the 2nd century BCE and the 1st century CE- and generally minted by Cotini or Kotinoy tribe (Κοτινοι, Kυτνοι, Kωτνοι) (BMCC [Allen] p. 27). AR: 19-20 mm; 10.55-13.27gms; composition: 0.7% Au, 75,2% Ag, 24,1% Cu.

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 05:38:03 am »
Background to BUCKELAVERS (mit Kugeln) type

Cotini was a Celtic tribe most probably living in today's Slovakia, or (according to occasional opinions) in Moravia and southern Poland. The tribe was first time mentioned in 10 BC in the Elogium of Tusculum. According to Tacitus, both Sarmatians (present-day Poland) and Quadi (present-day southwestern Slovakia) extracted tribute from the iron mines of the Cotini in the 1st century AD.

According to Hungarian archeologists there’s many proofs to that they lived also in the North of Hungary, mainly in Bükk mountain, where they also mined iron ore, and their area of accommodation was in the valley of Sajó river. Even, last century was found an oppidum at Bükkszentlászló [earlier Óhuta] –Nagysánc (= Big Fortification), what was identificated by archeologists as a religion centre. Also here, at Óhuta, was found 376 celtic coins in a rock gap, in 1864. The hoard was contained the next coin types: with balls [mit Kugeln, Pink357-358], with mustang [mit Zügelpferd, Pink359], with bone rider [mit Knochenreiter, Pink365], Audoleon type, Philip II imitation and a drachme with Rome head and Nike revers.
This territory connected to a mine (today Rudabánya), where mined iron, silver and other raw materials, and possible on the Sajó river as trade road carried this raw material to process in oppidum’ workshops.
According to other opinions this oppidum was in the area of Anartii tribe, the artifacts are very similar the next 3 oppidum: Óhuta/Bükkszentlászló, Zemplin and Galis-Lovacska.

The Cotini are later mentioned in connection with the Marcomannic Wars: around 172 AD, they did not help Romans in their fight against Marcomanni. To punish them (together with the Osii and Anartii tribes), Marcus Aurelius had moved the Cotini (and the other tribes) to Lower Pannonia, which happened not later than 180 AD (probably 177-179 AD). In Lower Pannonia, they are mentioned as ‘cives Cotini’ - the Cotini people - in 223-251 AD.

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 02:42:16 am »
Hi all,

Today I show a very rare east celtic coin from my collection: the GALLIERKOPF / SCHNURRBART type

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=13

This coin found in Galishegy – Galish Hill - near Munkács (today Mukacevo, Ukraina). According to Pink catalog there’s a similar coin in Archeologist Museum of Krakow (Poland), here lived the celtic Carragh tribe.
In Dembski catalog no.1273-1278 (Kopf mit Schnurrbart) all of them are drachms! But I think this is just a mistype. The 1279 is really a drachm, what also found in Galishegy, and this is a similar what found at Frög (today Rosegg, between Klagenfurt and Villach, Upper-Carinthie, Austria) [OTA 351-352] (see also the Frög Celtic World). Another similar drachm is in the Landesmuseum Joanneum coin collection (Graz, Austria).
No bibliographies mention this type is a scyphate-like coin.
AR: 22-25 mm, 12.46-14.92gms.

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 02:47:30 am »
Background to GALLIERKOPF / SCHNURRBART type

The oppidum between Galish Hill and Lovačka Hill was the remotest celtic village and fortress of the east-celts. Here found about 4-5 pieces of this coin type. 6 pieces found at Máramarossziget (today Sighetu Marmaţiei, Romania), where was a ford in Tisza river, and where was a trading center for Celtic and Dacian tribes. Here led the important Tisza-valley trading road, where delivered one of the important product that area: the salt (from Aknaszlatina-Solotvyno saltmine). Other celtic villages also found there: a little oppidum in Stremtura Hill at Ilosva (near the Borzsa river), Szélestó (Selestovo), Árdánháza – but these rather belonging to the Dacian culture according to archeologists. The Dacians probably settled on to the displaced celts’ villages, -as did the Romans in several places- and this culture was almost totally disappeared.

This coin probably struck the Anarti, or Anartophracti tribe. It is possible to separate the group of La Téne culture (Celtic settlement) in the Upper Tisza Basin. For the time being there are circa 160 sites noted. They can be divided into several distinct categories which include the following: settlements, production areas, sepulchral sites, i. e. burial grounds and single graves as well as various hoards (deposits of coins and tools). Moreover, there are three oppidum: Bükkszentlászló (Óhuta), Zemplin, and Galish-Lovačka. The chronology of the whole group lies between LT B1-LT D1/D2. Especially interesting is the problem of correspondence between this group and the group of sites in southeast Poland. Material connections are also documented in ancient sources. They allow to identify the group from Upper Tisza as the Anarti tribe and the group from southeast Poland as the Anartophracti, which is a part of the former.

Source
Marek Olędzki. "La Tine culture in the Upper Tisza Basin =La Culture de la Tine dans le Bassin de la Haute Tisza". Ethnographisch-archaologische Zeitschrift. Berlin. ISSN 0012-7477"

Regards, Mike

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 03:16:02 am »
Hi all,

Let's see a very rare celtic coin from my collection: the Honter type.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=14

This coin type got a name to the Hont County, because found 50 pieces at Disznóspuszta (today Kmetovce, Slovakia) in 1845, and this village is belonged to the old Hungarian region named Hont, between the Garam and Ipoly rivers. Disznóspuszta means „Pig-plain”, and the Honter (= in Hont found) is most acceptable in a catalog, than the „Pigtype – and there’s no pig-like in this coin.
To 15km from the found place there’s an oppidum, at Léva (today Levice, Slovakia), and probably there was a coin workshop. The Garam river was the trade road, where the mined silver (and gold, iron, too) went from Selmecbánya (today Banská Štiavnica, Slovakia) to the Danube. This area used (probably by the Osii tribe) only silver coins, and the Boii used the mined gold.

Documented found
HUNGARY: Szécsény (Nograd County); SLOVAKIA: Pozsony (Bratislava), Disznóspuszta (Kmetovce) 50 pieces. Usually the diameter is between19.5 and 23.5 mm, but my coin is an extra piece with 24 mm diameter.
AR: 9.45-13.76gms

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 04:40:42 am »
Hi all,

I continue showing my east celtic collection with the Königsreiter type.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=15

This coin found near the city of Pozarevac (or Margus, as the Romans called it), in Serbia, at the old Margus (today Great Morava) river. Thanks the information for the seller.
According to Pink catalog a similar coin found Banat, in the other side of the Danube; one similar coin found at Oescus (today near Pleven, Bulgaria) [Dess 1282] and at Livno (Dalmatia, today Bosnia and Hercegovina) [Dess 999]. The Livno found coin shows probably the Daursii dacian tribe - lived at Dalmatian mountains - also used this type of coin.  AR: 12.98-13.63gms

Background to Königsreiter coin

In Northern Serbia, at Pecine found a cemetery, what belonged to the later Roman city territories by Viminatium were presented. This unknown town was a settlement belonging to the end of the 4th century come up, the first third of 3 century was its heyday, and ended around mid-century. That is, this town near Pecine was one of the startpoint of the great expedition of the Lower Danube in 280-79 BC, near the mouth of the Morava, which - through the valley of the river - will lead the way toward Macedonia.
After the unsuccesful expedition the survived celts, illyrians, and pannonians come back to this area, where settled mainly the Scordisci tribe, the others went towards to their home.
The tribes of the Illyrian Autariatae and the Celtic Scordisci are thought to have merged into one in the Lower Morava valley, and soon the lower Morava valley becoming a Celto-Thraco-Illyrian interaction zone (the Thracian origin plain-living Getae tribes also appeared there during their migration to west).
On the other hand the ethnic affiliation of the Scordisci has been debated by historians. Some refer to them as a Celtic tribe, others list them amongst Illyrian or Thracian tribes.
Andras Mocsy clarifies their ethnic character, suggesting that they were not a Celtic tribe, but a "Celtic political creation". They were formed after 278 BC, as some of the survivors of the Celtic invasions of Greece settled the abovementioned region imposing themselves as a thin, yet powerful, ruling class. Rather quickly, they were subsumed by the numerically superior natives, although the Celtic tribal name was retained, the Illyricized version Scordistae was often used after the 2nd century BC. According to archaelogical evidence, Scordiscan settlements to the east of the Morava river - where this coin found - were Thracianized.

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 04:32:21 am »
Hi all,

The next types of my celtic coins belong to the circulation type, and imitation of Philip III.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=16

Similar coins found near Brassó (today Brasov, Romania) 6 pieces. AR: 2.26-4.06gms.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=17

A hoard found at Comana-Vlaska (a little village, south from Bucuresti, Vlaska regio, Romania), about 800 Getic silver coins, mainly imitation staters of Philip II, but also similar coin like this drachm. AR: 1.90-2.88gms. 

These imitation drachms were in circulation at the Middle and Lower Danube, mainly in Transylvanian Plains, Muntenia, Oltenia and Dobrudza, the historical areas of today Romania. This area belonged to (the Thrace-origin) Dacian and Getae tribes, there’s just a few evidence to celtic tribes lived there. (It is not accidental the title of the Karl Pink catalog: Die Münzparagung der Ostkelten und ihrer Nachbarn – The mints of East celtic and their neighbors).
For example the Transylvania found archaeological evidence of the celtic settlement dates mainly from the beginning of the 3rd century BC. Among the La Tène finds in Transylvania, those few objects that can be considered authentically Celtic were unearthed near the Érc Mountains (Nagyenyed, Oláhszilvás [?]) and Nagy-Szamos regions (Újős — if it really belongs here —, Erked, Csépán). Within the population of the Transylvanian part of future Dacia, only one group is of probably Celtic origin, the Kothinoi/Kothensioi (see Cotini).[Ptolemy, III, 8.3; ILS 8965].
The other part of this tribe settled in the western part of the Hungarian North-Central mountain-range and, according to Tacitus, was engaged in the shameful activity of extracting iron ore. Correlations between the data allow us to speculate that the Kothinoi of Dacia were descendants of the Celts who had settled in the 3rd century B.C. The latter formed a small if significant minority in Transylvania's population of the Celtic era.
(See greater details in Vasile Pârvan: Dacia - an outline of the early civilizations of the Carpatho-Danubian countries, Cambridge, 1928,Cambridge University Press (CUP) archive; and Constantin Preda: Monedele Geto-Dacilor,Bucureşti, 1973.)

Regards, Mike

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 02:41:46 am »
Hi all,

I continue showing my collection with an interesting traco-getae coin.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=18

According to Pink one of them was found in Kolozsvár (today Cluj-Napoca, Romania), - and is in National Museum, Budapest; another was found in Bulgaria (see Dessewffy collection). Nowadays found more, and these popular at auctions.
A nice example of „barbarian” coins. If we know the avantgarde style, where the artists objective is the resolution of traditional art forms and new forms of expression search, than it’s clear seen this coin. Even, it can recognize some effect of the pre-cubism using with the application of simplified geometric elements. Making these abstract forms the ancien artists outstripped their age far away.

Regards, Mike

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 03:38:36 am »
Hi all,

Another interesting art-coin from my collection:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=19

This coin is an imitation of Philip II of Macedon.  Pink classified to the East Group, and to the „mit Ringellocken” category.  The so-called normal planchet is 25mm, but there’s variations in larger size.
In Göbl catalog describe this as a Kinnlos (chinless) type, and Preda call Tetradrahmă dacică Tip Aninoasa – Dobreşti, PREDA fig. 19. The epicentre of the mint is probably Oltenia, Romania, because here found the most of them.   At Slatina found a hoard with 5-600 pieces, at Dobresti found 284 pieces, at Sadova (Dolj, not in map) found 160 pieces. Over this large hoards several interesting places found similar coins. In the South Carpathians, at Torda, where was a saltmine; at Dés, where was a salt distributing center; at Algyógy, where was an ancient wellness-spa thermal bath; but among the Danube river also found some pieces from Bulgaria (Gorsko-Novo-Selo, Kozloduy, Beleanovo, Varna) to Burgenland (Neudörfl, near the Leitha river). At Fehértemplom (Weiskirchen or Bela Crka, Banat, near Danube) found a 100 pieces hoard, with AlexanderIII imitations, Sattelkopfpferd types and this coin types. But found some of them in Kosovo, too.  So this coin is probably in circulation category.
AE and AR types, AR:7.41-15.50gms

Regards, Mike

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 08:28:07 am »
Hi all,

The next type of my "celtic" coin is popular at celtic coin collectors:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=20

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=21

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=22

This type of coin found about 40 places in Romania: Muntenia 29, Moldavia 4, Oltenia 2, Transylvania 2, Dobrudja 1. But found in Bulgaria (5 places), in Slovakia (3 places).
Göbl OTA describe together this types, but there are 3 sub-type of  SATTELKOPFPFERDs, and Preda also call Adincata-Manastirea type (Pink „guter stil”, ca.223-170 BC); Virteju-Bucuresti type (Pink „die erste degenerationsstufe”, ca.125-75 BC); Inotesti-Racoasa type (Pink „die dritte degenerationsstufe”, ca.125-70 BC). And there’s an extra type with Andrew’s cross (Pink „die vierte degenerationsstufe”, ca.?).
These coins are popular at celtic coin collectors, but there’s a lot of fake. (Probably my last two are fakes)
AR (billon): 5.58-9.26gms.

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 08:30:55 am »
Background to SATTELKOPFPFERD type

Between 60 and 40 BC it was fought the so called Daco-Celtic war, which saw the dacians attacking the celtic Boii and Taurisci confederations, and the Scordisci, too. Burebista defeated the once powerful Boian confederacy, and its Taurisci allies, destroying also the Oppidum of Bratislava, their capital, in 60/59 BC. The slovakian found pieces show the dacian conquest, at Pezinok found 5 pieces Sattelkopfpferd type tetradrachm (the Pezinok type in slovakian celt-coin catalog). The architects show a dacian centre at Nyitra and another was at Zemplin.
Between 56 and 50 BC, the Scordisci were also defeated by Burebista's Dacians, and became subject to him.
It’s coined just before the unification of the Geto-Dacian tribes into a unique reign under Burebista. These coins have been struck at the end of the second century BC and in the first three decades of the first century BC, [ca. 170-125 BC  (ALLEN), ca. 125-75 BC (PREDA)] in a Getic dava placed somewhere on the inferior course of the Argeş river (Muntenia), probably the center of the tribal union of the Piephigii.

Burebista (Βοιρεβίστας) ruled between 82 BC and 44 BC. He unified the Getae-Dacian (hence Thracian) population from Hercynia (today's Moravia) in the west, to the Bug River in the east, and from the northern Carpathians to Dionysopolis. His capital was called Argedava (or Sargedava) near the town Costeşti in Argeş county, Romania.

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 07:10:14 am »
Hi all,

I continue to show my East Celtic coin type. Next an interesting coin from Serbia.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=23

Obverse shows a bearded Zeus (or Heracles?) head, and small curved lines made wreath on the head (Pink category: Strichellorbeer). On reverse the representation of rider fell 2 line, but remained the hand, and it seems as if the horse would be a donkey, because of the donkey-ear (Göbl OTA type: Eselohr). 
These coins found in Kosovo in the valley of the old Margus (today Great Morava) river, 88 pieces, and they are in Museum of Beograd. Also found at Semlin and Jabukovac, even in the old Bereg County, near Munkács (Mukacevo), in upper Tisza area.
Jabukovac is a village in Serbia, it is located in the municipality of Negotin, in the Bor District, near the borders between Serbia, Romania and Bulgaria. Petar Popovic named “Jabukovac” type the earlier called “Eselohr”(see P. Popović, 1987, p. 78.) Also he mentioned without discussion the possibility that the Scordisci melted Hellenistic silver coins to re-use the metal, and used own mints, like this.
AR: 12.22-13.62gms
Source: Popović, Petar, – Novac Skordiska (Le monnayage des Scordisques), Monographies de l’Académie serbe des sciences, Institut d’Archéologie vol. 19, Belgrade–Novi Sad, Institut d’Archéologie–Matica srpska, 1987.

[In what follows I won’t qualify the degree of rarity of the coins. It seems that only the privilege of coin dealers, when they want to sell a dime. I'm just a collector and I don’t listen to the sales of my rivals.
So, I don’t write from this coin: it is very rare (- I know it’s that and it’s a genuine), because even in the end it turns out that this is one of the backyard product of a Celtic coin minted counterfeiter, and selling by dozens for example in the streets of Berlin. Over the past months, I saw three from this coin type on eBay ...]

Best wishes, Mike

Offline berserkrro

• Consul
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 02:23:01 pm »
Hi all,

The next type of my "celtic" coin is popular at celtic coin collectors:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=21

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=22

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=23

This type of coin found about 40 places in Romania: Muntenia 29, Moldavia 4, Oltenia 2, Transylvania 2, Dobrudja 1. But found in Bulgaria (5 places), in Slovakia (3 places).
Göbl OTA describe together this types, but there are 3 sub-type of  SATTELKOPFPFERDs, and Preda also call Adincata-Manastirea type (Pink „guter stil”, ca.223-170 BC); Virteju-Bucuresti type (Pink „die erste degenerationsstufe”, ca.125-75 BC); Inotesti-Racoasa type (Pink „die dritte degenerationsstufe”, ca.125-70 BC). And there’s an extra type with Andrew’s cross (Pink „die vierte degenerationsstufe”, ca.?).
These coins are popular at celtic coin collectors, but there’s a lot of fake. (Probably my last two are fakes)
AR (billon): 5.58-9.26gms.

Hi berserker, nice collection you have! Anyway first two are of Varteju-Bucuresti type and the last one Adancata Manastirea. Sorry to say that you are probably right about fakes.

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 10:48:29 am »
Thank you the specify Berserkrro. For years ago, when I got the Varteju-Bucuresti type coins, I didn't recognise they were fakes. Today I know, they are...but just like a type, are good enough.

The next celtic coin belongs to the "DIE VERWILDERTEN GRUPPEN"(Göbl):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=24

From this high relief AR drachm there’s only 1-1 pieces in Zagreb Museum (found in Kraljevac, Croatia), in Budapest National Museum, and in Wienna Museum (found Simmering-Heide, Wien, Austria). There's a little version, what found in Sarkad, Hungary - Dessewffy 1194 -, and what call Cotini-Kleinpragung: probably the Cotini tribe minted in N-E Hungary (Pink).
Ex Gerharh Hirsch Nachfolger, auction 256, LOT10 (5 May 2008)

Kind regards, Mike

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 06:59:46 am »
Hi all,

The next type of celtic coin from my collection is the popular KUGELWANGE type:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=25

Imitation tetradrachm Philip II of Macedon. Similar AR and AE coins were found mainly between Danube and Sava rivers, but also was found in Regöly and Szalacska in Hungary (only AE). These coins perhaps belonged to the tribe Amantini or Scordisci.
AE: 5.12-8.40gms, AR: 9.35-11.92gms.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=26

Imitation drachm Philip II of Macedon. Similar „Kleinstücke” were found (among others): Novi Banovci, Sirmium (Mitrovica), Novi Sad, Petrovci, Progar, Rakovac, Stari Jankovci, Slankamen, Surcin and Surduk. This coin probably belongs to the tribe Amantini or Scordisci (Amantini, client kingdom of Scordisci by Chris Rudd), it was found between Danube and Sava rivers, but the place is unknown.
AE: 1.53-1.74gms; AR: 1.92-2.71gms;

The coin circulation in southern Pannonia flourished after the middle of the 2nd century BC. For example about 130 coins have been found in Sotin. (Sotin is one of the most important archaeological site in Croatian Danube basin.) The oldest one was minted during the time of Alexander III of Macedon, but drachms from Apollonia and Dyrrachium were also found there, as well as Roman republican coins. In addition to their standard Syrmian group of coins (Kugelwange), and several example of rare eastern Slavonian group (OTA212-Leierblume). Silver coins belonging of the Magdalensberg type are also found there. Numismatic finds from Sotin enable insight into the structure of the oldest monetary system in the region between the rivers Danube, Drava and Sava.
This is testified by numerous coins that belonged to the Scordisci. Since their exact finding spot is precisely known, they are very valuable if one is trying to determine the exact position of Celtic settlement which was the centre of Cornacates, southpannonian tribe mentioned by Pliny.

Regards, Mike

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 01:48:18 pm »
Hi all,

In the end of the last year I got an interesting celtic coin:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=27

According to Pink the Dessewffy 776 coin was found in Bereg County at Upper-Tisza, and there’s two „Kleinstücke” pieces in National Museum, Budapest (Pink 414).
This celtic coin probably belongs to the uniface group - see the distribution map -, where mainly used the imitations of Audoleon coins, and usually listing to the Matragebirge (Matra mountain) group.
AUDOLEON a king of Paeonia (315-285 BC), was a contemporary of Alexander the Great, his coins reverse used on the celtic mints. The main type of Audoleon celtic coins legend is Α Υ Δ Ω Λ Ε Ο Ν Τ Ο Σ but in this type the original legend was transformed. Instead of the ΑΥΔΩ and the ΛΕΟΝ legend–parts here appear two points-decorated triangles, what connected to other a wavy line, while the ΤΟΣ (more or less) remained, and on the each legs of the horse there’s a pellet. Also degraded the typical Zeus head on obverse.
Nowadays we can see similar coins at auctions: H. D. Rauch Auction 76 (17.10.2005) LOT130, LOT131; A. Tkalec AG auction (07.05.2006) LOT10; Künker Auction 115 (25.09.2006), LOT18; Künker Auction 136 (10.03.2008) LOT420;
AR: 12.74-13.95gms.

Regards, Mike

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 03:16:57 am »
Hi all,

There was no word yet about Boii coins, so I present two of these.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=28

Pink category: Das Kleingeld vom Tótfalu und seine Nachfolger – c) Der gallische Einflus (= Gaul influence). Dembski category: Boier in Bratislava silverpragung, 2. Das Kleinsilber, Gallischer Einflus.
Fall of 1903 a local farmer found 960 pieces drachms (2.5kg) in Tótfalu (today Tahitótfalu, at Szentendre Island: Tahi the right bank of the Danube and Tótfalu is in the Island, Hungary), but earlier already found 12 pieces Tótfalu type celtic coins at Tököl, in 1864.  Near the Danube at Komarom (Komarno) was an ancient village: Celemantia (today Izsa [Iza], Slovakia) where also found similar coins. Opposite was Brigetio, what was originally an old celtic village and this coin found here. The type weights AR: 2.32 - 2.89 gms.
Sources:
PAULSEN – Die ostkeltischen Münzprägungen / Die Münzprägung der Boier mit Berücksichtigung der vorboiischen Prägungen, Leipzig / Wien, 1933
GÖBL – OTA = Ostkeltischer Typenatlas, Braunschweig 1973
GÖBL – Typologie und Chronologie cder keltischen Münzprägung in Noricum, Wien 1973
KOLNIKOVA – Keltské mince na Slovensku, Pallas, 1978
KOLNIKOVA – Bratislavské keltské Mince, Tatran, 1991.
GÖBL – Die Hexadrachmenprägung der Gross-Boier, Wien, 1994

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=30

Kostial wrote at 858 type the listing is not certain.

And a few words about the Boii
Boii is the Roman name of an Iron age tribe located at the beginning of their history in central Europe, perhaps in or including the regions that still bear their name: Bavaria and Bohemia. The tribe has been located at various times in Transalpine Gaul (southeastern France), Pannonia, Bohemia, Moravia and western Slovakia. In addition the archaeological evidence indicates that in the 2nd century BC Celts expanded from Bohemia (home of the Boii) through the Kłodzko valley into Silesia, now part of Poland.
The Pannonian Boii are mentioned in the late 2nd century BC when they repelled the Cimbri and Teutones (Strabo VII, 2, 2). Later on, they attacked the city of Noreia (in modern Austria) shortly before a group of Boii joined the Helvetii in their attempt to settle in western Gaul. Other parts of the Boii had remained closer to their traditional home, and settled in the Hungarian lowlands by the Danube and the Mura, with a centre at Bratislava. Although there’s no direct evidence, but probably the Boii also had a loose legacy with Osii, Cotini, Anarti tribes, even Teurisci at Upper-Tisza, not only Taurisci.
Around 40 BC they clashed with the rising power of the Dacians under their king Burebista and were defeated. When the Romans finally conquered Pannonia, the Boii seem not to have opposed them. Their former territory was now called deserta Boiorum (deserta meaning 'empty or sparsely populated lands', ).
However, the Boii had not been exterminated: there was a civitas Boiorum et Azaliorum (the Azalii being a neighbouring tribe) which was under the jurisdiction of a prefect of the Danube shore (praefectus ripae Danuvii). This civitas, a common Roman administrative term designating both a city and the tribal district around it, was later adjoined to the city of Carnuntum.

Regards, Mike

Offline Reid Goldsborough

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coins
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 10:57:11 am »
Hi all,

The next types of my celtic coins belong to the circulation type, and imitation of Philip III.

Like many here, I'm sure, I'm enjoying looking at the coins in your collection and reading your research and thoughts. These are interesting types, and you have an impressive collection. But some of the coins that you label as rare are actually common, such as this one. Perhaps they were rare when some of the references you cite were written. But you see the above type and your other two Alexander/Philip III imitative drachms fairly often in today's marketplace, and unlike some others there's no indication that they're modern.

You've done a good job attributing these and found some references I hadn't. But here are a few more references for two of your Alexander/Philip III imitatives:

SNG Cop. Supp. 201-202, Lukanc Pl. 7 No. 12, Allen 1978 13

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2857&pos=18
Lukanc Pl. 4-5 No. 46-66, Allen 1978 14, Dessewffy 829
oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com

Offline berserker

• Praetorian
  • Laudator temporis acti
    • My coins:
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 02:39:32 pm »
Dear Reid,
Thank you sharing your opinion, and for your help with the additional references. You are right, and as I wrote earlier, I won’t qualify the degree of rarity of the coins. 

Actually I have only 4 catalog for east celtic coin, what I use in my works.
These are:
Karl Pink: Die Münzpragung der Ostkelten und ihrer Nachbach, Braunschweig, 1974;
Robert Göbl: Ostkeltcher Typenatlas, Braunschweig, 1973;
Günther Dembski: Münzen der Kelten, Wien, 1998,
Michaela Kostial: Kelten im Osten (Gold und Silber der Kelten in Mittel- und Osteuropa), München, 2003;
and I'm thinking another one to buy - Göbl: Typologie und Chronologie der keltischen Münzprägung in Noricum, Wien 1973. 
So I haven't Preda, Kolnikova, Popovic books (unfortunately), as I've no LaTour, Allen, Dessewffy, Barthélemy or Lukanc, etc. catalogs, and nowadays I have no time to research in libraries, so usually I use only what I found in the Net.
To tell the trut, when I started this topic, I thought about a complet catalog-like show with full references, but because of my other engagements, I think this decision remains just a plan.

Kind Regards, Mike

All coins are guaranteed for eternity