Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mintmarks Bibliography  (Read 1020 times)

Emanuele Giulianelli

Mintmarks Bibliography
« on: March 14, 2010, 01:57:05 pm »
I need a good bibliography about Mintmarks in Roman Coins, every good book or article you know about it, focusing to symbols in fields too.
Thanks a lot!

Emanuele

Offline Matthew W2

• Consul
Re: Mintmarks Bibliography
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 02:25:09 am »
Failmezger (2002) "Roman Bronze Coins" is pretty good for the period it covers (294-364 AD).

The article on Forum is very helpful too:

http://www.romancoin.info/#Roman%20Mints%20and%20Officina

Can you be more specific about what you need?

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 10:07:10 am »
in fields, in mintmark we see a lot of symbols (crescents, stars, dot etc)... is there any explaining of the meanings of some of these symbols?

Offline Matthew W2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:07:34 pm »
I see what you mean. Yes. the Failmezger book does have a chapter on that.

The short answer is that there is no short answer.

Paraphrasing from Failmezger: Outside of the letters of the mintmark itself (including any honorifics - SM - or officina marks) many of the marks in the exergue were likely control marks to indicate the minting sequence. I assume this refers to when a particular batch of coins was made - the first batch might have one mark, a batch made on an anniversary may have a wreath, etc.

In the field, he cites several different possibilities, including officina marks, abbreviated slogans (letters like PR), control/sequence marks, etc. These seem to be fairly speculative, and don't appear to be well understood in many cases.

I don't know of any other sources that discuss this in as much depth though.

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:54:30 pm »
I see what you mean. Yes. the Failmezger book does have a chapter on that.

The short answer is that there is no short answer.

Paraphrasing from Failmezger: Outside of the letters of the mintmark itself (including any honorifics - SM - or officina marks) many of the marks in the exergue were likely control marks to indicate the minting sequence. I assume this refers to when a particular batch of coins was made - the first batch might have one mark, a batch made on an anniversary may have a wreath, etc.

In the field, he cites several different possibilities, including officina marks, abbreviated slogans (letters like PR), control/sequence marks, etc. These seem to be fairly speculative, and don't appear to be well understood in many cases.

I don't know of any other sources that discuss this in as much depth though.

ok, thank you!
i will take a look at the Failmezger ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity