Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Trebonianus Gallus medallion from the Trau collection  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
A Trebonianus Gallus medallion from the Trau collection
« on: February 14, 2012, 05:56:17 am »
I thought it would be worthwhile to share this Gallus medallion. It was in an old fake collection, part of which I acquired last year for study reasons. I had picked the Gallus because it looked like a quite convincing old cast of an original, even showing corrosion spots and some smoothing, but I never gave it much thought so far. Recently, however, I was browsing through the famous Trau catalogue (Sammlung Franz Trau: Gilhofer & Ranschburg / Adolph Hess AG, Vienna, May 22nd 1935) as a friend of mine asked me to check a coin type he was doing some research on, and stumbled by chance over the Trau specimen - which, as one may guess from the thread title, turned out to be my own coin.

Trebonianus Gallus, AE Medallion (36 mm, 48.21 g), Rome.
Obv. IMP CAES C VIBIVS TREBONIANVS GALLVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
Rev. ARN - ASI, Apollo (or mountain god?) standing left on rocks, holding branch and knotted staff.
Cohen 23 (400 Frs.); Trau 2844 (this coin).

According to my prices realized list, it did not sell in 1935, so maybe it was already withdrawn back then, although the fake collection it came from originates from a different (but contemporary) auction house. The patination, corrosion and smoothing make it very convincing. It probably does date no later than the 19th Century, the era in which Franz Trau senior was an avid and famous collector, but may be older, as the Prinz Waldeck Homer which I acquired from the same fake collection: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=67072.0

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: A Trebonianus Gallus medallion from the Trau collection
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:08:46 am »
What a fascinating find.
Martin

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:46:59 pm »
The obverse is most convincing.  Do you know where the genuine coin is?
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:11:30 am »
Do you know where the genuine coin is?

The original appears to be the EF example in Bologna illustrated by Gnecchi, Medaglioni, pl. 111.3
Curtis Clay

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 03:44:13 am »
Thanks Curtis. I had not consulted Gnecchi yet as I don't have it at home but a friend of mine had pointed out the specimen illustrated in ERIC II (reverse only) to me, which looked like the host coin and may actually be the Bologna specimen illustrated by Gnecchi.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Marius

• Consul
    • 249-253AD  Four Bad Years
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:36:18 am »
That is a doubly wonderful find!  Getting a nice looking cast of medallion is very nice, but finding it is a famous 'coin'!  I couldn't resist buying a cast medallion myself - they are very nice to hold.
Richard Marius Beale
Four Bad Years:  http://sonic.net/~marius1/mysite/

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:19:20 am »
Thanks Rich. I actually by chance have an identical cast to yours as well, from the same fake collection that I acquired the Trau medallion from.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity