Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Markianopolis Hristova/Jekov (2011)  (Read 857 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Markianopolis Hristova/Jekov (2011)
« on: December 17, 2011, 08:23:43 am »
Dear friends of provincial coins of Nikopolis and Markianopolis!

After having updated my coins of Nikopolis to Hristova/Jekov (2011) some weeks before I have now done the same for my coins of Markianopolis. For all interested members here is the link https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3007

I hope that it is a resource for attributions.

Best regards

Offline pitbull

• Praetorian
Re: Markianopolis Hristova/Jekov (2011)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 11:26:27 am »
I find thee coins very interesting but I do have a question.

Why were so many coins of so many different types issued from Markianopolis. I doubt this was a very large place.

I apologize if this has already been discussed elsewhere however I am however curious.

It looks like they were 1800 years ahead of their time. It cost $23,00 to buy one of each, 2011 US mint item!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Markianopolis Hristova/Jekov (2011)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 11:46:17 am »
Hi pitbull!

A question which I ask myself too. And until today I haven't found an answer. Regarding the coinage of Nikopolis the problem is even bigger.

Jochen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity