Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: PLEASE SUBMIT FAKE COIN REPORTS (A POST HERE IS NOT A FAKE COIN REPORT)  (Read 18849 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Please don't just post fake coins on the boards.  If you KNOW a coin is fake, submit a Fake Coin Report.  If you are unsure a coin is fake don't submit a report right away.  Post it for discussion, but if it is confirmed as fake, then please submit a Fake Coin Report

Also, if you post fake coin pics to the discussion board, please do not just link to an auction.  Please upload the pics.  Most auction pics are only retained for 90 days.  Sellers of fakes often delete the pic as soon as the auction is over.  This board will be more useful if fake coin pics are retained. 

The Fake Coin Reports are here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/index.php

There is a link to the Fake Coin Reports in the header of this page.

Once you are on the Fake Coin Reports click the link to "upload file."  Click that and follow the instructions.

The optimal Fake Coin Report format follows:

1) The obverse and reverse photos must be cropped to a narrow border around the coin and stitched together into a single image.

2) Title:  Issuing Kingdom, City and/or Ruler (as applies) / Denomination / Reference number

3) Entries should include as much of the following information as possible:

Obv. legend / Obv. description or bust type / Rev. legend / Rev. description.

Reference number(s).

Date and mint for the original type.

Weight and diameter.

How the fake was made (cast, pressed, struck with modern dies, etc.)

How the fake has been identified as fake including features that identify it as cast or pressed, style irregularities, fabric irregularities, epigraphic irregularities, known duplicates, publication as a fake, sale by a listed notorious fraud seller, etc., as applicable.

If the seller is not on the notorious fraud list do not name them in a fake coin report.

Feel free to submit any fake reports even if you do not have all the information in the ideal list above.  Please include as much information as you have. Don't worry if it isn't complete. Volunteers will often add additional information and corrections to reports that have been submitted by others.

If you know more about an existing reported coin, please add a comment to the report.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Schatz

• Consul
PLEASE SUBMIT FAKE COIN REPORTS (A POST HERE IS NOT A FAKE COIN REPORT)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:51:24 am »
Hi,

I would like to know a little more about reporting decorum. Apart from the coin details Joe outlined at the top of this thread, the question is: Is it proper to report a coin if you do not own it or at least have held in in your hand? I see many coins offered on Ebay which are suspicious, to say the least, but I feel that you must personal knowledge of a coin before you report it. This way you can establish weight, an important factor, and the realistic appearance of the coin.
So, what are the rules?

Schatz

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:58:51 am »
If that was a rule there would be hardly any coins in there. If you are not sure, don't add the coin.
Even if you ARE sure, ask yourself if you really know enough to report the coin or if maybe you don't and you shouldn't.
Overeager fake reporters can cause the whole database to be unreliabel but then again the fake reports are well-moderated by Martin.
Andreas Reich

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 10:04:47 am »
If you aren't sure, post it on the boards for discussion.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 11:26:14 pm »
It seems to me that lately only a small fraction of the fakes confirmed here are getting added to the fake coin reports.  Please chip in and help by submitting reports.  Please look through old threads and find confirmed fakes that were not added and add them.  The fake coin reports need support from all our active members who use them and this discussion to keep them safe from buying fakes.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Charles S

• Consul
Re: PLEASE SUBMIT FAKE COIN REPORTS (A POST HERE IS NOT A FAKE COIN REPORT)
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 04:19:57 am »
I just submitted a fake coin report, but after uploading and adding the text, I do not seem to be able to edit as I can with records I place in my own albums.  The title needs to be changed.  How do I proceed please ?
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 06:18:28 am »
Put a comment on the report itself noting what is needed.  I will fix it.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 06:58:51 am »
Thank you.  I already got a message from Andreas Reich, he is fixing it.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 07:12:38 pm »
I presume uploading a file will add an image to an album, but how do I add the accompanying text? More importantly, can I subsequently edit text?

Ross G.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 08:35:59 pm »
It isn't much more difficult than adding a post on the discussion board.  Just follow the steps.

I don't think you can edit the text after you upload, but you can add comments and moderators can edit the text based on the comments.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity