Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: TRAIAN. Dupondius RIC 444.  (Read 951 times)

Offline jmpita

• Legionary
TRAIAN. Dupondius RIC 444.
« on: September 17, 2009, 05:38:07 pm »
Hello to everyboy! This is my fist thread, thus let my introduce myself and send my very best wishes to all of you.

I will appreciate your help on the refered subject.

RIC 444 states for the obverse legend (A6) IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN AVG GER DAC P M TR P VII. In my coin the obverse legend reads GERM instead of GER. This is the legend type A4, that corresponds to an AS.

Unfortunately both obverse and reverse legends are partially erased (perhaps unstrike in the reverse), but there is room enough in both cases to support the complete texts.

Any suggestion? Kind regards by advance.
José Maria

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: TRAIAN. Dupondius RIC 444.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 07:17:31 pm »
GER is merely a misprint in Cohen's second edition, no. 173, carelessly copied in RIC.

The coin described is in Paris, and that coin actually has GERM not GER, according to (a) Cohen's first edition, no. 354; (b) Strack 347, who visited the Paris collection and illustrates a Berlin specimen with GERM on his pl. V; (c) the new Paris catalogue, no. 164, illustrating the very specimen in question on pl. 9, and confirming Cohen's and Strack's reading GERM!

Your coin appears to be from the same obverse die as the Berlin and Paris specimens, whereas the reverses are from three different dies.
Curtis Clay

Offline jmpita

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 03:56:24 am »
Many, many thanks for your answer. I'll revisit in depth Cohen's first and second editions according to the terms of your documented answer and eventually look for extra info on Paris and Berlin collections.
Thank you again.

José María.

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 01:27:22 pm »
Bienvenido, José María. This is an excellent forum. I've learnt A LOT from the many experts that visit it regularly, Mr Clay being one of finest. Hope to see your posts here again in the future.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline jmpita

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 02:40:10 pm »
Bienvenido, José María. This is an excellent forum. I've learnt A LOT from the many experts that visit it regularly, Mr Clay being one of finest. Hope to see your posts here again in the future.

Regards,
Ignasi

¡Bien hallado Ignasi! I absolutelly agree with FAC's excellence. I have spent  hours reading and learning before this presentation. Hope to share my collection and modest awareness with all of you.

Very best regards.
José María.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity