Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Athens, common die crack/flaw???  (Read 1322 times)

hitchuk

Athens, common die crack/flaw???
« on: November 01, 2004, 01:09:55 pm »
Hello all,

Has anyone ever noticed a somewhat common die crack or flaw that occurs on Athenian Tetradrachms?  I've seen a bunch that have a type of backwards "c" near the top of Athena's helmet on the obverse of a "old style" tetradrachms.
So really my question is, am I just dealing with coincidence, or has anyone else noticed this?

Here's a recent auction that has one like I'm speaking of:

[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Sorry, can't seem to figure out how to attach a picture to this post....  In the meantime, I'll try to drum up some more images.

Thanks!

Roger

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re:Athens, common die crack/flaw???
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 06:41:33 pm »
     The "crescent" by Athena's forehead on the obv., which I had never noticed before, occurs on quite a few of the tetradrachm dies of the earlier fifth cent. BC in Starr and of later in Seltman.
     It's clearly intentional, not a die fault.  I presume it is meant to indicate the hair on the left, invisible, side of Athena's forehead.
     Could someone who knows how transfer the image to the thread?
Curtis Clay

ember

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 07:06:18 pm »
Hi,

Here is the image

hitchuk

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 12:43:08 am »
Curtis

I just pulled out one of the nicer ones from my collection, and I can even see the fillets in one of these.  I gues it must be hair after all!

Thanks for the info!

Roger Hitchuk

All coins are guaranteed for eternity