Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Searching for Imperial coin on Gallica  (Read 451 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Searching for Imperial coin on Gallica
« on: April 26, 2023, 06:15:25 am »
Does anyone know how to search for an *imperial* (not provincial) coin on the Gallica website, so a coin in the Paris collection ? I am looking for the RIC 722 coin, listed (but without an example) on the OCRE website, and for which RIC cites Cohen 919. Usually, unless Cohen gives a source such as Gréau, Wiczay, or the name of a private collection, the coin he cites is in the Paris collection.

Simply searching under "Antonin le Pieux" gives me about 37,000 pages of 15 coins per page, including provincials, and single mentions in books and sales catalogs.

I found the https://catalogue.bnf.fr/search.do page but when I search for Truie and Pieux, it shows me several coins with incorrect descriptions, e.g. coins of Titus described as Vespasian with completely incorrect legends, all described as a sow left with six piglets, but the image show a woman standing left, a legend in wreath, Demeter seated left etc... with no animals in sight on any of them.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Searching for Imperial coin on Gallica
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 07:41:45 am »
To date only a part of the roman imperial coins of the BnF have been digitized, obviously Antoninus Pius is not part of that  :( :
https://antiquitebnf.hypotheses.org/14036

Regards

Altamura

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 12:12:15 pm »
Hi,

Strack (in footnote 80) suggests that Cohen 919, cited as being in Paris, has the legend misdescribed and this error is carried through into the description of RIC 922(sic), RIC being known as M and S for Mattingly and Sydenham. The reverse legend is TR POT XIX COS IIII, not TR POT COS III, and is coin 2458 in the Paris collection.

This would seemingly further compound the errors as it is RIC 722 that is quoted as being the equivalent of Cohen 919.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 12:26:24 pm »
Hello Rich. On this example of RIC 722 sold in 2020 by Naumann, you can clearly see on the reverse the legend TR POT COS III.
Dt,

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 01:28:30 pm »

Not RIC 722 as sow is to right on this coin.

Pekka K

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 02:06:08 pm »
No offense but the designers of BNF/Gallica must have reached the bottom of a barrel of wine before they designed the site ....

Just my 2 c

Clueless

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 02:10:25 pm »
Hi,

BMC plate 31, 6 illustrates the cast (of the reverse only) in the BM, of the Paris specimen and is described on page 259 of the catalogue.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 03:13:46 pm »
Hi,

After the publication of BMC IV in 1940 they purchased this sestertius in 1946, formerly in the Wentworth Woodhouse collection with a similar left facing sow reverse. I have checked it against the description of RIC 722, Cohen 919 and it nearly matches Strack's correction of the two references, XXI, against XIX. Given the apparent weakness in the crucial part of the reverse legend this may be explicable.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_1946-0704-3

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2023, 02:55:21 pm »
Here is my response to John Lavender,  who wrote me about the same Sow and Piglets sestertius:

John,

BMC pl. 31.6 illustrates the rev. only, from a cast in BM, of what is likely the Paris specimen of this sestertius, and which may well share its reverse die with George’s example.

A question mark in Strack indicates that the reading of the Paris specimen is uncertain, and on the cast illustrated in BMC the rev. legend indeed breaks off after TR POT and half of an X.

Cohen, followed by RIC, overlooked that half X and so read the legend without numeral, as merely TR POT [COS IIII] S C.  But Strack read TR POT XXI COS IIII S C on the Vienna example without any indication of doubt. The correctness of that reading is confirmed by the reappearance in the same year and also after a long gap of a second related mythological type, Wolf and Twins (Strack 1150).

The legends of these two types were without doubt the same: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P IMP II / TR POT XXI COS IIII, with S C in exergue. The Sow type comes in two varieties, Sow left and sow right, as correctly reported by Strack 1148-9.

Best regards,

Curtis

PS: Thanks for the picture of the nice BM specimen, and for the text describing the cast in BMC, which I had been unable to find!
Curtis Clay

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 04:19:24 am »
Hi Curtis,
I'm not surprised you couldn't find the text relating to the cast. In the corrections printed at the end of the 1968 reprint of BMC the authors note that the coin is misplaced on the plates in relation to it's placement in the catalogue.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2023, 07:12:04 pm »
Well, here's my two-quadrantes-worth: I can contribute of my Strack 1148; the condition is poor but what is clearly legible is the XX on the reverse, which rules out TR POT XIX.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity